Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I would like to thank all of you that posted about prices and other tricks in buying a car. I used most of the tips and it all worked out for me.

I got the last 2003 IBP manual full leather in the west coast. I figure they wouldn't be willing to deal on it due to limited availability, but I was wrong. 8)

I first found it at Beverly Hills Lexus and got in touch with Fritz Kugell. I HIGHLY recommend working with him. He was very honest, respectful and courteous throughout the entire buying process.

Its definitely cheaper to buy from California if you live anywhere on the western half. You can check out the different prices that www.carsdirect.com give you for the exact same car from different zip codes. The website quoted me $2000 more from where I live versus Cali. :(

The different zip codes are located here: http://www.lexus.com/dealers/index.html . Choose the state option and have fun. I HIGHLY recommend you talk to a fleet manager, usually their internet sales person, since they are able to negotiate on prices so much easier than anyone else.

I tried to bring it here to AZ from CA with a dealer swap, but the dealers here were not very lenient in the price. One was offering MSRP?!?!

Anyways, I worked with carsdirect.com and offered that price to him and he took it! I negotiated even more to see if I could get shipping included. He was able to take a little bit more off and now its in my garage. Here's the savings I recieved:

Car: 2003 IBP Manual
(You must put checkmarks next to these in the total package to get a real price)
Power and Leather Package
Full leather
Rear Spoiler
Limited Slip Differential
Wheel Locks w/Pouch
Trunk Mat
Cargo Net

Paid: $27,200
Doc Fee: $40
Shipping: $350 C.O.D. to ship and got here the next day! (CA to AZ)

Edit:
TTL depends on your state. Well, turns out I have to pay for City use tax. Apparently, I only paid the State Tax at the DMV and there is a City Use tax I had to cover. They sent a letter and asked for another 2% which equals the 7.6% the city tax had in the first place. Please ignore the out of state tax stuff I just mentioned. Sorry for giving some false info.

Right now, Lexus is still offering the same manufacture to dealer incentive until 09/02/03. It knocks about $1000 more off the price if you choose not to finance with Lexus. Happy shopping!!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
omg... :eek: I should have ordered my is300 from here!! I could have gotten heated seats, lsd, and navi for cheaper than what I paid without the three! :pissed:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ bump...

It looks like this deal is going on again for CA zip codes. Happy buying!

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Wow. That sounds like an awsome deal. How can I get info on this? I"m looking for Blue IS manual myself right now. I'm in VA, but even with shipping I think IS300 for $28k is a good deal.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Head over to your local dealership and get a list of dealerships that have the exact/similar car you want. They can generate a list and what options those cars have.

Ask if they will match the carsdirect price from a CA zipcode. If not, follow what I wrote above and see how much it will cost to ship across the whole U.S. Price compare and make a decision.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
bigpimpim79,

so did you buy the car from beveral hills dealership, or from carsdirect.com? sorri, but I just wasn't too clear on that. thanks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought it through Beverly Hills through Fritz. I don't remember exactly how I found him, but he is the one that seals the deal.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Cool. I may try to contact him then. Can I say that you referred me to him?

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
bigpimpin79,

I've been looking to buy this car for a few weeks now, and I think you have shown me the gold mine. I really thank you. I am kind of confused about something though.

Did you first contact various CA dealers to see if they had the car you wanted, and then you found one in Beverl Hills Dealership, so you told them about the carsdirect.com price and negotiated with them?

OR

You went to carsdirect.com, and contacted the rep in carsdirect.com. The dealer in Beverly Hills was just assigned to you from carsdirect.com? If so, did you use the "Save with Carsdirect.com" option or "Get a Dealer Quote" option to find your Beverl Hills dealer?

OR

I'm totally off base.

Thanks man.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
monkeypee said:
Cool. I may try to contact him then. Can I say that you referred me to him?
Hey, no problem. Just trying to help out another enthusiast :D

I don't think the order matters about contacting which one first. If you really want to know exactly what happened, I can PM you since I don't think it will help out here.

To save you time, just talk to Fritz and tell him you got this quote from carsdirect.com. He'll prob try to confirm the price and then he can decide to match/beat it with what he has in stock or if he is willing to get the car from another dealer for you. You'll prob want to see what he can offer for shipping versus going on your own. He is a great guy and I trust he'll help you out the best he can.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Hey thanks man. So far, i've followed your advise and sent emails to all lesux dealers in my area telling them to contact me if they can beat the price on carsdirect.com (which is $26,900 with the options I want). I have also made contact with a dealership in CA, and asked him to match the price and include shipping with it. :p

I'll hear what they have to say, and if I can't seem to get a good deal, I'll contact your Beverly Hill dealer, and see if he can hook me up.

I'll keep you updated with what happens. :D

On another note, it seems though that you still got better deal than what's listed on carsdirect.com right now. Is that because the price was cheaper back when you bought it (it's $25,313 base for manual right now in CA), or because you negotiated a little more. If you negotiated, if you don't mind telling, how much more money did you save? Thanks man!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bet its been a while since you read the original post, so take a look at what I wrote again. I think the answers to your questions up there :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Hey, I got in contact with your dealer. I couldn't wait and I just emailed him before getting your name.:) Anyway, we are going to talk tomorrow morning to discuss things. Hopefully things will go well, and he can beat the carsdirect.com price.

By the way, ALL the dealers in my neighborhood are crazy. There was one dealer who emailed me all excitely that he can beat the price for a 2001 IS300? HAha. WTF? And then he emails immeidately after saying that he can even do a 2002, as if he's being extra nice. HAHAHAHHA. Crazy SOB.

And then there was another dealer who left a message on my machine saying that he can match the price I quoted him (which was $26,900). I call him back, and he's like he'd be crazy to match that, as they'll be losing money with that price. WTF again? Why u gotta lie biatch.

So right now, I'm just going to wait till Fritz gives me a deal, and if he can't, I'm just going to purchase through carsdirect.com. I'll keep you, and whoever is interested or are in the same shoes, updated.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Ok, this sux. I did all that I said I will. And it turns out that they haven't built ONE blue IS300 in manual this March in the western region. So I can't get that. But Fritz has told me that he can get me one in black, for the price on carsdirect.com, which not all dealers match by the way. So that was cool. But now, I need to decide if I want it in black with that price, OR should I pay a like 1 to 2k more to get it in Blue if they have that in my neighbourhood. Such dilemma.

Man, why can't my process go as soomth as bigpimpin's did??

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry it didn't go as well. Its surprising they aren't building one at all this month. I think he tried to get me into an auto black too :lol:

Notice he said west region. Have you tried to find one in another region? What other manuals did he have?

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
He tried to get you to get Auto Black huh? Wonder why? For cheaper i assume?

Anyway, I called several dealerships and confiremd that that noone in the western region has Blue Manual. This is mainly due to the fact that most cars built this month are Sport Edition. If I wait till next month, maybe they may have it, but that's no good, because 1) no guarantee they'll have it, 2) that low price may not be applicable. He said he can get Black Manual. That is my second choice anyway, so I don't really care about other colors.

As for dealers in my neighbourhood, it's the same deal. No one has that car in the lot, and I must custome order it, and wait 3-4 months for it. And it will be at least $2k more. I say F u to that. Too damn long.

So it seems that I have no choice but to go with Black, and fall in love with it somehow. Hopefully, that wo'nt be too hard, because that was the color I wanted in the very beginning anyway.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He was kinda joking since he had 15 of them on the lot/garage and really, really wanted to move them.

I know they will make more before summer's end and will offer something similar in price.

It doesn't sound like you want the black since you will have to "fall in love with it somehow". For me it was blue/manual all the way since I can remember and I couldn't be happier. Good luck in your decision

1 - 20 of 32 Posts