Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for factory GTE rods and pistons and didn't know if only certain supra models came with forged internals

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Just pick up a set of GTE pistons, rods, and rings and you will be fine.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
They are stronger, but will cost you more $$$ so its all about how much $$$ you want to spend.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
I'm sure this is searchable but I don't have a lot of time, in terms of GTE internals and aftermarket i.e. Crower / JE, what HP are the GTE internals rated up to, after that what are the Crower / JE rated up to?

Easier,

Crower / JE = ? hp (est)
GTE = ? hp (est)

thanks guys.

·
Monkey Style
1,885 Posts
I'm sure this is searchable but I don't have a lot of time, in terms of GTE internals and aftermarket i.e. Crower / JE, what HP are the GTE internals rated up to, after that what are the Crower / JE rated up to?

Easier,

Crower / JE = ? hp (est)
GTE = ? hp (est)

thanks guys.
I'd like to know this as well.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Depeneds on your power goals. Anything under 800hp and you can use GTE internals. Of course you will need a good tuner.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I'd like to know this as well.
Both can be taken up to and around 900 hp some have taken JE's up 1000hp. stock pistons can hold ~800whp with c16 or better and a great tune, reliably. I have yet to see a broken GTE rod, engine making power under 900whp. But i have seen pistons go a few times.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
Both can be taken up to and around 900 hp some have taken JE's up 1000hp. stock pistons can hold ~800whp with c16 or better and a great tune, reliably. I have yet to see a broken GTE rod, engine making power under 900whp. But i have seen pistons go a few times.
i've seen a few gte rods go through the sides of blocks at less than 600whp

the rod bolts and caps are weak sauce on the stock rods, not much good past 7200rpm. when people starting revving to 9k and junk they start going bad quickly.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
i've seen a few gte rods go through the sides of blocks at less than 600whp

the rod bolts and caps are weak sauce on the stock rods, not much good past 7200rpm. when people starting revving to 9k and junk they start going bad quickly.
Well yeah LOL reving past 7500 is pretty crazy without strong internals. But i have seen plenty of stock blocks well over 800whp for a great amount of time. And using ARP lube helps too ;)

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
stock GTE internals are plenty good for 700-800rwhp and up to 8000rpm, that is common knowledge.. If a TT shortblock is spitting out rods at 600rwhp then surely something else went wrong..Anybody that rev's stock internals to 9k rpm is just plain retarded and asking for blown block or f'ed up head..(you would need a gt4780 or a huge T4 gt45-76 to even make power that high)..

If you have a new SB best thing is to ARP and check all spec's on the block and you have a block good for 800rwhp so long as you don't act like an idiot...

TT pistons have been 8's on various drag cars
Stock TT internals have been low 9's on auto and mid 9's on 6spd
On dynojet are capable of over 900rwhp, under load 800rwhp is most you wanna go after

IMO the best combo for a STREET CAR is

Carillo H-beam rods
Stock TT pistons
ARP hardware

done

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Hm, so the GTE rod bolts are a no go? I have my rev limiter set to 7200rpm. If necessary I might pull the motor out and replace the bolts to something stronger. I regularly take my car up to redline...at least a few times a day lol.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Hm, so the GTE rod bolts are a no go? I have my rev limiter set to 7200rpm. If necessary I might pull the motor out and replace the bolts to something stronger. I regularly take my car up to redline...at least a few times a day lol.
7200rpm is plenty fine, up to 8k is ok but few people make power up there...Don't tear your motor apart b/c of hearsay..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts