Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 with 3.5 liter engine with 110k well cared for miles. The vehicle has an intermittent growl that seems to be originating from the top rear of the engine. The car is so quiet that you do not hear it inside while driving, but you can hear it when entering or exiting the vehicle as the engine is running. I’ve already disconnected the accessory drive belt and determined that the growl is not from the front of the engine area. I thought it could be a cam bearing, but I’ve maintained the car since new and the oil is always clean. This is my 6th Lexus and I’ve never had any trouble with any of their engines, even with well over 300k miles.

·
4,743 Posts
Is the noise RPM or speed related? Does it happen sitting still or braking? While making turns? Need more details.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the noise RPM or speed related? Does it happen sitting still or braking? While making turns? Need more details.
Thanks for responding. I checked out the noise again last light and drove it for several miles with windows down and HVAC system OFF. The noise did not occur at all during that time, Including at idle, any rpm, any speed, any braking or any turning. I pulled car back in garage, lifted hood and still no noise. My wife put HVAC System to AUTO because she was cold, and the low pitched intermittent growl reappeared as soon as the cooling fans kicked on. I was then able to trace the the noise to drivers side cooling fan, as that blade has a slight amount of front bearing play, whereas, the passenger side cooling fan has no play. I checked the part number on the internet, and found the pair of fan motors through Lexus are $232, but Rock Auto has several aftermarket brands that come as complete assembly, with shroud. The prices range from $95 to $215, but none of them indicate the use of DENSO motors. I guess I’ll stick with the Lexus part and avoid the aftermarket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts