Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a black leather interior with a gray rear view mirror? Or is it just me? I know it is such a small and retarded thing to ask but it kind of bothers me that the interior is black only from the door panels down. Everything else above that is gray. The roof liner, the rear view mirror, and the A pillars.(I think thats what they are called... The pillars in the front that go up both sides of the windshield that also have the airbag in them). From the outside, the gray mirror really stands out against a black exterior and black seats and all.

Actually, now that I think about it, it might have something to do with heat transfer or absorption maybe?

Anyways, anyone know how and where to get a black rear view mirror and roughly how much it would be? Or maybe post up some pics of yours? Thanks

Aloha

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've got a '03 GGP w/ black leather/suede interior and yeah, my mirror has the grey plastic housing as well.
My last car was like that as well - all black interior from the bottom of the window down. Everything above the base of the windows was a light tan/beige that I hated and always wanted to change but it would have been so much work.

·
Latex salesman
5,635 Posts
I just had my headliner redone in black suade to match the suade on the doors. I also did the A & B pillars plus the visors.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
^^^speaking of suade, I just got done with my 7 hour suade job, did the headliner, a, b and c pillars, and kick plates...for me I had to work around a roll cage, not fun!!! Cool thing my friend and I nearly bent the headliner in
thirds to get it out and in!!! The headliner is very flexable and bends right back into shape! Anyone know how much it cost to get me sunvisors done...Im not attempting them myself! will post pics soon!

·
Registered
365 Posts
yea, pics would be nice...I guess this never really bugged me that much, but now that it's been brought up it is kind of annoying...

·
Latex salesman
5,635 Posts
It cost me $90 to get the visors done ($45 each) and I supplied the material.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I'm having the same issues too and wondering how much would it be to get my shift knob, gauges and windshield wrapped in black suede?:rolleyes: Oh and the little part around the cigarette lighter too. :p

·
Latex salesman
5,635 Posts
Shift knobs, guages and windshield? What are you, a pimp? :lol:

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I thought I might get the needles inside the gauges wrapped in red suede and have L.E.D. lights on the tips so I could see them good still after they are wrapped. OOOOooo I could wrap the sunroof in suede too and use LED lights to look like stars and constellations!!

FYI: I am actually interested in this thread, just having some fun.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another question... What about the air bag in the A pillar? If it is covered with something wouldn't that affect its reliability? Just a thought...

Personally, the rear view mirror is my main concern. The A pillars would be cool too but are not high priority. Does anyplace sell direct replacement mirrors? Preferably genuine Lexus/Toyota.

By the way, thanks for all the replies!

Aloha

·
Latex salesman
5,635 Posts
Steve, the air bags would not be affected. Covering the pillars in suade will not prevent the air bag from deplying. The pillars covers are just attached by little clips. There's a DIY for removing the headliner on ISfanatics.com

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
AHEM! I have been told this by a Chrysler interior design guy as to why manufacturers do this. It creates a more "open" atmosphere. It gives the impression of greater interior space and you dont feel like the headliner is looming in on you. Its a psychological thing, its proven, thus they do it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i just did my headliner and all pillars in black suede also and then used a adhesion promoter and sprayed all plastic pieces black including the mirror, not too difficult and looks muuuch better

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
i just did my headliner and all pillars in black suede also and then used a adhesion promoter and sprayed all plastic pieces black including the mirror, not too difficult and looks muuuch better
1 step ahead of me. I was going to recommend that you dye them black. There are some spray paints that are specifically designed for painting vinyl & plastic pieces. Works really nice. I do it in a lot of vehicles when I suede them up. You can get the paint at an automotive paint supply store. (check your local listings).

I also agree with -Tom-. Lighter headliners make the interior seem a little more roomy. I do a lot of black interiors, and the end result is cozy. It seems smaller, but not trapped by any means. I can understand why manufactures do this, but a suede headliner is just plain sexy...

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm having the same issues too and wondering how much would it be to get my shift knob, gauges and windshield wrapped in black suede?:rolleyes: Oh and the little part around the cigarette lighter too. :p
That's gonna be one yucky shift know in a year or too ;) I don't think I would go for suede there, but that's just me. Do what you like. I do have the same gray interior uppers and mirror, but it never really bothered me until now.

DAMMITTT!!

Guess you could always use fabric /vinyl dye...

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
That's gonna be one yucky shift know in a year or too ;)
Guess you could always use fabric /vinyl dye...
Really fabric/vinyl dye on the shift knob? hmmm I'll try that. Should I pour it all over the knob or do you think that might dye my clutch as it runs down through the car? I just don't really want a black clutch since I'm having that wrapped in suede as well. Not sure if I want to do the fly wheel too. Depends on if I have extra suede left over...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
Oh god you guys are dorks lol.

I agree. Suede FTW! If I did redo my headliner and pillars I might stay lighter though. get a gray headliner.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I will post some pics of my finished product this weekend, in a new thread!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts