Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a question.. Dont laugh at the idea, its just something that popped into my head.

Alright, the obvious reason for an intercooler is to cool the air off before it enters the cylander.. Some are just fins, some are air to water, some people put meth/water misters in.

Why not, for those that just want high boost, and dont care about the AC, have the intercooler have piping in it that will supercool the air off the AC system? Would the consdensation be so much that it would be a problem? I figured that if it ran this way, you wouldnt even need fins, and could mount the intercooler anywhere.

Just a thought of mine, lets see what you guys think of it as well. Toss some of your ideas into the mix.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Seven said:
I had a question.. Dont laugh at the idea, its just something that popped into my head.

Alright, the obvious reason for an intercooler is to cool the air off before it enters the cylander.. Some are just fins, some are air to water, some people put meth/water misters in.

Why not, for those that just want high boost, and dont care about the AC, have the intercooler have piping in it that will supercool the air off the AC system? Would the consdensation be so much that it would be a problem? I figured that if it ran this way, you wouldnt even need fins, and could mount the intercooler anywhere.

Just a thought of mine, lets see what you guys think of it as well. Toss some of your ideas into the mix.
How would you pressurize the air in your AC system?
And would your AC system be able to keep up with the amount of air the car is pushing into your motor?

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
soph, have the tubes run through the IC parallel to the way that the air flows. And would it be able to keep up? Well, i wouldnt know. if it cools off the interrior of the car as fast as it does through fans, im sure that if the air is rushing right along these pipes through the intercooler, it would be able to cool off quite a bit as well, the obvious fan being the turbo to force that much air in there. as fast as it does.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Seven said:
soph, have the tubes run through the IC parallel to the way that the air flows. And would it be able to keep up? Well, i wouldnt know. if it cools off the interrior of the car as fast as it does through fans, im sure that if the air is rushing right along these pipes through the intercooler, it would be able to cool off quite a bit as well, the obvious fan being the turbo to force that much air in there. as fast as it does.
It doesn't cool air anywhere near as fast as it would need to. My guess would be maybe 50x to 100x slower. Maybe more.

The AC doesn't cool air that is nearly as hot as air coming from the turbo.

The AC system isn't efficient enough

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
I would imagine a leaf blower would produce similar boost levels as a turbo.
And my AC system isn't anywhere near as strong, nor would it be able to cool air flowing that fast.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
not to mention the parasitic drag of the ac compressor

·
Apricot idea killer
18,211 Posts
You're also talkine about cooling different materials/matter. Trying to cool the metallic components of the IC would take far longer to do and much more to maintain than simply cooling some air.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
2TGEU said:
not to mention the parasitic drag of the ac compressor
100% on the dot. You do not make energy from no where, you are using the engines horse power to not just move water or other fluids to a radiator but to transfer heat using a more complicated and energy demanding method. If you recieved any gains from cooling the intake air with the AC, the gains are being used by the AC compressor and system.

In a perfect world they would cancel themselves out, the energy used to compress the coolant, distibute it and diffuse the heat, but with different efficiencies and thermal charictoristics you probably would loose more hp than gain by running the AC lines and fins in a way as to cool intake air.
Not to mention Sophie's point that our AC system could not keep up with the high flow of heated air from the turbo, even post intercooler.

Just put it this way, would a fan driven electric generator in a wind tunnel produce more power needed to power the engine powering the fan blowing wind at the generator to make some power to spare, if so we have just found a limmitless energy source, a spoof in the Galaxy and a way to produce matter from nothing.

B.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts