1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't planning on buying one.... Yet.
I was going to just throw in a K&N drop-in, and then I saw these and wondered how they could be less than the damn filter itself !

So I assume the filter is garbage, but isn't an intake just a frickin tube? Or are there different airflows or ???

If a K&N filter would fit on one of these, why spend $200+ more than you need to?

Just wondering.. I by no means want to cheapen up my ride.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
K&N filters come in different sizes. You could probably get one that fits. About all a SRI does anyway is make nice noises, so I would agree on that.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
photobri said:
If a K&N filter would fit on one of these, why spend $200+ more than you need to?
1) Because they look shitty.

2) They don't come with a heatshield. You'll be sucking hot air into your engine thereby decreasing performance potential.

3) They look really shitty.

4) They're not made by a reliable company that has put tons of R&D into their products and have proven performance. A tube is NOT just a tube.

5) They look ridicuously shitty.....and cheap.

You get what you pay for. It's up to you.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
The best intake I ever tried was a rubber hose that fed cool air to a stock airbox with a K&N drop in filter. I did the R&D with 5 different intakes before that, including a FIPK.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Elite_IS3 said:
oh, you forgot to mention that they also look pretty damn shitty!
Some of the expensive intakes look pretty shitty too, when you get right down to it.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
photobri said:
Barkat,

what did you do that set-up on?
That was on a '01 Civic EX. It had no loss of torque and got the best gas mileage. Powerwise, you don't get much on any intakes on a Civic.

On the IS you already have a snout that pulls air from the front. The only thing I see to add is a higher flow filter. That is, unless you're going with the SRT intake with the Piggyback ECU.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Actualy if i may the intake from ebay, the $30 one i have had on my car for about year no problems no check engine light and i walk away from my buddy with intake/exhaust he has aem intake and mine sounds so much better and i know alot abotu the motor im boosting it custom next month. those expensive intakes, your paying for the name thats all with the exception of srt and for the cost of that i can get you a wet system NX kit and a 75 shot which is what i run, no problems and i dont lose around town with intake exhaust pro 1 header and midpipe im pushing close to 300 hp and its quick i walk camaro's mustnags u name it. somthing for you to think about there isABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH IT and you can get it powder coated to match the color of your car, which is a tight setup. give the ebay one a try for $30 its worth it, trust me. injen had a problem at one point in time with air leaks around mass airflow sensor, now these intakes do not leak they seal tight, thats why no CEL. :D

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
my cousin got that on his is :lol: it's really not that bad i think it looks shitty but it sounds kinda nice when he floors it and for some reason he always beats me when i had my is and i had an injen and hks exhaust :-?

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
nuttable02lex said:
Actualy if i may the intake from ebay, the $30 one i have had on my car for about year no problems no check engine light and i walk away from my buddy with intake/exhaust he has aem intake and mine sounds so much better and i know alot abotu the motor im boosting it custom next month. those expensive intakes, your paying for the name thats all with the exception of srt and for the cost of that i can get you a wet system NX kit and a 75 shot which is what i run, no problems and i dont lose around town with intake exhaust pro 1 header and midpipe im pushing close to 300 hp and its quick i walk camaro's mustnags u name it. somthing for you to think about there isABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH IT and you can get it powder coated to match the color of your car, which is a tight setup. give the ebay one a try for $30 its worth it, trust me. injen had a problem at one point in time with air leaks around mass airflow sensor, now these intakes do not leak they seal tight, thats why no CEL. :D
Holy run-on sentences, Batman!!! :-?

Those intakes still look shitty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
you are right, im not gonna lie, it isn;t anything special but then again if you wanted to really cath someones eye, save for some real power like alot of people VVRRRROOOOOOOMMMMM PPSSSSHHHHHHHHH Peace ya'lls, also must have been a few runon sentences but then again who cares????

·
Registered
38 Posts
i got one of these from ebay

and it works great, great sound, great performance, i might change the cone to K&N, but overall it is well worth of the money.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts