Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

I just installed my Fujita Short Ram Intake ... and yea it's HOT!!

and just found a solution that I want to discuss with professionals like you guys.

a guy come to me and told me: " why don't you use -Aluminum Tape- that will save the engine heat to make the intake hot and bring more hot air into the engine"

and I was like, "huh?, yea it's good idea I'll think about it"

so what do you think guys? .... is it safe to tape the intake pipe to save the heat? and is it helpful that keep the pipe heat in low temperature?

a pic of the tape:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why Would you want hot air going in your engine? Are you kidding? Or am i not understanding this question? ever heard of a COLD AIR intake? You want the air going in to be COLD. Dense,Cool air is what you want.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IS300JH ... you understand me wrong ........ I want to save the cold air that enter the intake with the tape ... E.G.:

my intake take the original air temperature then goes inside the pipe "which is become hot becoz of the engine heat from driving" ... then the air change to become hot while it's going inside the engine

so, the idea is to keep the -original air temperature- as the same temp. while it goes inside the engine instead of become hot while it goes in becoz of the hot pipe """which become hot becoz the engine as same the example"""

Now, what is the idea of "Intake Wrap" .... how does it work, how useful it is and how to install it? ... plz put some good examples for (Fujita Short Ram Intake)

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
You're wasting a lot of time and effort for no gain BTW.

The air isn't in the tube long enough to get any hotter than it does to begin with... air is a poor conductor of heat and warms relatively slowly.

As noted though the short-rams are sucking IN already-hot air due to their design, so you'd do better using a sealed-box system like the Joe Z or F-sport than a short ram.

You won't find any measurable gain from wrapping an intake pipe though.

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
What he means by sealed box is intakes that use the factory airbox like the JoeZ intake. your talking +/-1hp at absolute most. You have an intake and honestly there isnt anything you can do to make it better. You could sell it and buy a JoeZ but is it worth all that hassle for maybe a 1hp gain? Its only an air intake so just roll with it. You wont add an airbox and gain 20p

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want to install -Heat Shield- so hot air don't go inside the engine .... not about HP or anything else .... only for stop hot air to come inside the engine

btw, can I use stoke air box for the Fujita short ram intake?

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
I want to install -Heat Shield- so hot air don't go inside the engine .... not about HP or anything else .... only for stop hot air to come inside the engine

btw, can I use stoke air box for the Fujita short ram intake?
Thats what we are telling you the intake is so short even a heat shield isnt going to make any difference. the only reason to stop hot air from coming in is to add hp its not like adding cold air only extends the life of your engine.

If its bothering you THAT bad sell your intake put your stock airbox back on and buy a joez intake. Problem solved.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It might be new, but it doesn't give a lot of power. 5 hp, tops. Probably less.

It gives a lot more engine noise though, which many confuse for "going faster"
well good Intake + good exhaust, each of them will give more power to the other one ....... in any case I like it ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.