Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a question about SRT intakes w/ ecu piggy. I heard from some people that S-AFC or Apexi should be used with the Srt intake. They state that you can actually loose horse power etc with out this. I didn't know what this was but I guess it actuall helps with the ecu etc. and cost about $700-$800 and should be installed by someone who knows thier stuff. They state that once the S-AFC / Apexi was installed it made a huge change.

If anyone knows more info on this please let me know. If it has to be used or if it is legal in California.

Thanks guys.

vmj007

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Srt's piggyback will work fine. But it is for the IS in general and not "your" car. So you can get some horspower from using the AFC controller but how much I dont know. :chill:

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Aubie83 said:
Srt's piggyback will work fine. But it is for the IS in general and not "your" car. So you can get some horspower from using the AFC controller but how much I dont know. :chill:
Probably between 1-2 hp..not worth it since u gotta pay another 300 for the S-AFC

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...

Do you know if the Intake can, as those that I referenced, negatively effect the performance? I thought that it would only increase the performance. I am wondering why they referenced that it could decrease hp.

Just exhause wouldn't seem right, would it?

vmj007

·
Registered
8,552 Posts
Only get the SAFC with the SRT intake if you're going with some header, otherwise its additional power gains are minimal and not worth the money.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Chan said:
Only get the SAFC with the SRT intake if you're going with some header, otherwise its additional power gains are minimal and not worth the money.
If you have the SRT intake with piggyback ECU and add a header, can an S-AFC take the place of the re-programming of the SRT race ECU?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
BassMan097 said:
Chan said:
If you have the SRT intake with piggyback ECU and add a header, can an S-AFC take the place of the re-programming of the SRT race ECU?
Actually I believe that SRT can upgrade their piggyback ECU if you get the Toyomoto headers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would NOT recommend using the SRT piggy back ECU and S-AFC, they do the same thing, which is correct your air/fuel ratio. The difference is that the SRT ECU is preprogramed for JUST the intake and nothing else. While the S-AFC is adjustable incase you ever decide to add anymore performance mods.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
2JZ-GTE-Boostin said:
I would NOT recommend using the SRT piggy back ECU and S-AFC, they do the same thing, which is correct your air/fuel ratio. The difference is that the SRT ECU is preprogramed for JUST the intake and nothing else. While the S-AFC is adjustable incase you ever decide to add anymore performance mods.
Not true...SRT has chipped/reprogrammed their ECU if u want to get the Toyomoto headers.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm having the same problem deciding whether or not to wait for SRT to re-program my ECU for headers or just get an S-AFC. I've looked at the ECU wiring diagrams for the 2002 SRT race ECU and the Apexi S-AFC, and the wires from the S-AFC are connected to different wires of the car's computer than the SRT ECU is connected to. Does this mean that the commands from the S-AFC will over-ride that of the SRT to take into account headers, exhaust, etc, or must the SRT piggyback be removed and the wires re-soldered to fully utilize the S-AFC???

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
FROM TOYOMOTO SITE
"Many said that it could not be done, due to the restrictive OBDII computer, however Toyomoto was the first to experiment with the fuel computer on the IS300. The end result of this experiment was an increases of 10-15 Rear Wheel Horsepower with the unit. "

Price: ....

is this only with the stock intake or an aftermarket i just thought of that.....

·
Registered
322 Posts
im adding the toyomoto headers, but im still gonna remove the race ecu and replace it with a dyno tuned Apexi S-AFC. I just think its more precise (and will lead to better gains) and obviously adjustable for future mods.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've only had my intake for about a month. I have been e-mailing back and forth with SRT and they say I have to reflash my ECU when I get a header. They never told me anything about the new ECU being good with a header. Kind of a pain in the a$$ since I live in Guam. My car will be down for two+ weeks. Mail takes 7 days each way :( Can you shoot me a copy of that e-mail Gavron1??????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
gavron1
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing