Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, after reading countless threads about intakes. I just came up with a question that i'm surprised i didnt come up with earlier.
reading the many threads about intakes, everyone always says CAI are better than SRI because they're sucking in cold air instead of hot. i know the difference is minimal for the 2IS but im still sure that in racing terms, people still probably prefer CAI. Now my question is.. if CAI is better than SRI, why even make the SRI? is there some areas where SRI is better than CAI instead of sound? thanks for clearing this up for me :)

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
if CAI is better than SRI, why even make the SRI?
A short ram intake is smaller, cheaper and easier to install.

is there some areas where SRI is better than CAI instead of sound?
A short ram intake is smaller, cheaper and easier to install.

Conclusion:
Sucking in cool air is important because cool air is denser than warm air, which means cool air molecules are closer together, so more air can fit into a given amount of space. An engine creates power by mixing and compressing air and fuel. The more air you can fit into a cylinder at one time, the bigger explosion you can create which in turn creates more horsepower. This is why a CAI is a wiser choice for making power.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
They don't even make a real CAI for the 2IS, since it'd involve cutting holes in the car and most folks aren't interested in doing that to their $40,000 car.

Most folks (for performance) will prefer something like the Joe Z to an SRI though since it retains use of the stock airbox, and will at least be sucking colder air than an open-element filter (plus it's cheaper).

Thing is, the SRI is a lot louder, and many folks who don't know any better confuse louder with faster.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the quick and detailed replies!
just have one more question, you said that the SRI is a lot louder, i was interested in the Fujita SRI but im not sure how loud it actually is. i watched some youtube videos but i cant really get a sense of how loud it actually is because all videos sound pretty much just as loud. So if you can describe it to me if you know, id appreciate it because im still deciding between the Fsport or the Fujita. I want sounds i can actually hear but not some ricer sound either. kinda like the low G37s sorta grunt. I'm planning to change the exhaust to HKS hi-power as well if that is a point to be considered. Thanks a lot everyone!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.