Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps,
I am new to the IS community and am looking for some avise. I just purchased a IS350 and am looking to add some go fast parts to it (exhaust/intake).

What do you guys recommend?
Where can I purchase them?

Thanks for the help peeps.
OOM

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
if you're looking for mods specifically to make the car faster, don't bother.

No intake for the ISx50 adds more than 3-5 horsepower, and many (mostly the short rams) might actually cost power because they're sucking in hot air. The Joe Z pipe is going to be the best bang/buck as it shows 3-5 hp gains on a dyno and cost about 1/3rd what the usual aftermarket intakes do WITHOUT sucking up hot engine air or being obnoxiously loud.

For exhaust, assuming you want to stay legal, nothing will add more than 5-7 hp and it'll run around $550-600 (for a Tanabe, which is a very nice, well built system that's fairly quiet, but still doesn't add much power).

If you don't mind being illegal (ie removing cats and such) then there's some full exhausts that might net you 10-15 hp but cost will be more in the 1000-1500 range.

Now, if you want your car to be much -louder- then you have plenty of good options for intake/exhaust. Making it much faster, not so much.

Now, if you -really- don't mind being illegal, Daniel Mazzuri is making headers for the car.. they delete the primary cats and they replace the rear O2 sensors with sims... but they're the first mod I've seen for the IS350 that should actually show significant power gains (on a 250 he was showing something like 25-30 more torque, the 350 should be even better)...and the cost is in between the legal and not-legal exhausts that all add a lot less power.

Install is a pain though (at 4-5 hours) so that'll bump the cost a bit if you can't do it yourself... and you'll badly fail any visual inspection...but bang for the buck it's a decent choise if the legal stuff isn't an issue for you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
if you're looking for mods specifically to make the car faster, don't bother.

No intake for the ISx50 adds more than 3-5 horsepower, and many (mostly the short rams) might actually cost power because they're sucking in hot air. The Joe Z pipe is going to be the best bang/buck as it shows 3-5 hp gains on a dyno and cost about 1/3rd what the usual aftermarket intakes do WITHOUT sucking up hot engine air or being obnoxiously loud.

For exhaust, assuming you want to stay legal, nothing will add more than 5-7 hp and it'll run around $550-600 (for a Tanabe, which is a very nice, well built system that's fairly quiet, but still doesn't add much power).

If you don't mind being illegal (ie removing cats and such) then there's some full exhausts that might net you 10-15 hp but cost will be more in the 1000-1500 range.

Now, if you want your car to be much -louder- then you have plenty of good options for intake/exhaust. Making it much faster, not so much.

Now, if you -really- don't mind being illegal, Daniel Mazzuri is making headers for the car.. they delete the primary cats and they replace the rear O2 sensors with sims... but they're the first mod I've seen for the IS350 that should actually show significant power gains (on a 250 he was showing something like 25-30 more torque, the 350 should be even better)...and the cost is in between the legal and not-legal exhausts that all add a lot less power.

Install is a pain though (at 4-5 hours) so that'll bump the cost a bit if you can't do it yourself... and you'll badly fail any visual inspection...but bang for the buck it's a decent choise if the legal stuff isn't an issue for you.
knowing that there arent that many mods that will improve my performance significantly, i still did it to gain some performace. and getting the looks and sound was just added bonus. x]

theres not much difference between cold air intake and short ram. okay, the air might be hotter but by like couple degrees at the most. and maybe because i drive a 250, but i feel the difference in torque wen i step on it.

if a full exhaust deletes your cats... you can aways buy aftermarket cats to stay street legal. and i dont know much about the mazzuri headers so i wont front. but megan racing has headers too. i mean...its all preference, to do whatever you like to do.

btw...how much are the joe z intakes?? does it come with a filter too or just a pipe??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So to stay legal, if I pick up the Joe Z pipe and the Tanabe exhaust system, I am looking at about a 8-12 hp gain for plus/minus $800?

Where can I pick up the Joe Z pipe and the Tanabe exhaust?

Thanks for the feedback....

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Not exactly- they keep the secondary cats... but they delete the primary ones...if you keep the rest of the exhaust system stock

Whereas most of the "full" exhaust systems delete the secondary cats...

So if you did both you'd have 0 cats I suppose

The Joe Z pipe is available right from the store here IIRC... I think it's like $109, so way cheaper than any of the hot-air short rams, for at least as good if not better peformance. No filter, it reusesthe stock intake box. Testing has shown no gains from aftermarket filters powerwise anyway... though you'll probably save a few bucks in the long run with a reusable drop-in filter from one of the usual suspects compared to throw-away OEM units.

the tanabe the best place I've heard on price is showstoppers-

ShowStoppersUSA :: Award Winning Cars

And to be honest to anyone driving a 250- You do NOT feel any gain from an intake. It's just not possible. You're adding, on a great day, with an intake that doesn't -cost- hp (and some do), 1-2% more power. You can't feel that.

What you're feeling is either "the car is louder so it MUST be faster" or "I just dropped $350 on this thing so it MUST be faster"

Same would be true on a 350, where you'd be "gaining" even less.

Anyway, on an IS350, with the Tanabe and the Joe Z, yeah, on a good day you're probably picking up 8-12 hp for around $660 total... with excellent build quality on both parts, and not making the car obnoxiously loud. (If you're into obnoxiously loud then a more expensive intake and a different exhaust can provide it, but you're not looking at any more power if you wanna stay llegal)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just placed my order for both.....Joey Z and the Tanabe....
Thanks for all the feedback..

·
Registered
459 Posts
"And to be honest to anyone driving a 250- You do NOT feel any gain from an intake. It's just not possible. You're adding, on a great day, with an intake that doesn't -cost- hp (and some do), 1-2% more power. You can't feel that.

What you're feeling is either "the car is louder so it MUST be faster" or "I just dropped $350 on this thing so it MUST be faster"

Same would be true on a 350, where you'd be "gaining" even less."

Yes, I would agree. From what I have read, the human body is better able to detect changes in power (hp/tq). Basically the seat-of-the-pants dyno is only good for relative changes. Hence, people often report noticable improvments but it is actually a loss of power at lower RPM's followed by a return to normal power at the higher RPM's.

I am in for a set of Mazzuri headers. I don't have to worry about visual inspections. Since these cars are so advanced with emission control, I wonder how the IS250 will do with a sniffer test even with the primary CATs removed and only using the secondaries.

They only plug into the OBDII connector, check for trouble codes & test the gas cap where I am at.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the an o6 IS350. I installed the HKS hi-flow system. My car didn't feel any faster but it sounded much better. I am getting rid of my lexus and if you want my exhaust and live in LA then PM me.. i am willing to trade for stock mufflers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts