Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think i might have a little problem. I went and got my oil changed at the dealership and everything was fine before i went in there. When i got my car back the check engine light was on and it said check VSC. I walked back in told him and they took it for a drive and then he asked me if i put any fuel addatives or anything in my tank. i said no and i haven't. He said something about mass airflow or maybe a o2 sensor. Could this be caused by the intake, its a joe z with blitz drop in, even though there was no problems or warning lights before i took it in. And when i have to take it back will having the intake in there be a problem?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Did the dealer hook a scan tool up to the vehicle and pull a code? If so, what was the code. Ex: P0300 etc...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea he did hook up a scan tool, and i dunno the number i will find out but alli know is he said something about mass airflow or an o2 sensor problem. then asked me if i put any fuel addatives in my tank. but none of these problems were there before i got my oil changed. . . i will call and get the code

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
To Date and to my knowledge.. The "Joe Z Intake" has never caused a CEL on an IS300, IS250 or IS350.

I would put the stock filter and intake pipe back in to avoid an issues with the dealer..

Seems a bit odd that before service you were fine and after service they give you the car back with a CEL & VSC Light ON?? :suspiciou

Good thing is that it will be covered under warranty either way.

Best to verify the code and exact issue when you bring it back

Let us know what they find and how it goes..

Joe Z

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so i was waiting to call the dealership about this isssue until i had a chance to put the stock intake back on and the check engine and VSC lights went off... they been off for a day so far. Does this mean that there is no longer anything wrong or why would it go off for no apparent reason?

·
Registered
237 Posts
all that has happened is that your factory ecu has now stored the code. It did not sense the problem to be a reoccurence and stored it and is waiting for it to happen again. If whatever issue caused it does not happen again within 63 drive cycles then it will clear the DTC by itself. If it does happen again within the 63 drive cycles then the light will come back on. When a scan tool is used to read and diagnose DTCs there will be what is called freeze frame data. This will tell why the DTC was stored but not what caused it. To be on the safe side I would reccomend re-installing all old parts and taking vehicle back if check engine light comes back on. Only way that warranty will not be voided by factory warranty is if it hasan E.O.(executive order) number saying that it does not effect emissions. This number is required for any performance part to be emissions legal and not void any warranties.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
all that has happened is that your factory ecu has now stored the code. It did not sense the problem to be a reoccurence and stored it and is waiting for it to happen again. If whatever issue caused it does not happen again within 63 drive cycles then it will clear the DTC by itself. If it does happen again within the 63 drive cycles then the light will come back on. When a scan tool is used to read and diagnose DTCs there will be what is called freeze frame data. This will tell why the DTC was stored but not what caused it. To be on the safe side I would reccomend re-installing all old parts and taking vehicle back if check engine light comes back on. Only way that warranty will not be voided by factory warranty is if it hasan E.O.(executive order) number saying that it does not effect emissions. This number is required for any performance part to be emissions legal and not void any warranties.

The above is -completely- wrong in regards to warranties.

Being emissions legal has NOTHING to do with your factory vehicle warranty.

It's a violation of federal law to deny warranty coverage for ANY aftermarket part (regardless of having an EO number or not) unless they can prove the failure was CAUSED by the aftermarket part.

If you -do- have a failure caused by an aftermarket part then having an EO number is of no help or value whatsoever in getting it fixed under warranty either.

EO numbers are about being emissions legal (and mainly that's only relevant in California anyway). Warranty don't enter into it at all.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It is ultimately up to the manufacturer if they will void the warranty or not. If you read the Magnuson Act it allows vehicle manufaturers to set their warranty standards. It is responsibility of the vehicle owner to know what the warranty covers. Factory warranty will not be honored by toyota if CEL is related to an Aftermarket part that was installed. Toyota Warranty states parts must be factory Toyota Parts.

Please do not make blanket statements.

I work for the manufacturer. Most of the time I will overlook the fact that some of my customers have aftermarket parts installed unless it is what caused the problem.

·
Registered
237 Posts
For example: If a 2007 Toyota Corolla is presented to me with a CEL with DTC P0174 System Too Lean, Has K&N FIlter installed and oily debris on the MAF Sensor, I will first clear the CEL, then Clean the MAF sensor, Then test the MAF sensor for proper reading according to TIS(toyota information system) If reading is within factory spec then Warranty is now void on that sensor and customer is advised of cost to repair.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I also forgot to mention the clean air act. This says that any aftermarket replacement part that is emissions related, air filter, intake tubing, exhaust, spark plugs, spark plug wires, etc.. must meet or exceed oem specifications(means it needs an E.O. number since it is not an OEM part). There is also another clause in the clean air act that says installation of any parts that do not meet oem specs can result in a $2500.00 fine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So my error came back... guess i have to take out the Joe Z intake and put stock in. i no longer have stock filter hope that doesn't matter. Is this problem most likely related to the intake or something else?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Would need to know exact DTC that triggered the Check Engine Light o come one. It coming back on indicates either a new DTC (ECM found a new problem), Same problem(turning light back on to remind you to have it fixed), Same problem(similar occurance happened as last time that triggered the DTC for CEL)

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
I think its very weird that you didn't have any issues before service and since you got it back, its happened twice.. :jawDrop:

It very well maybe something else, or something they did while in service??

I agree... Put the car back to stock and have the codes read with the lights still ON

Let us know what happens..

Joe Z :)

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I also forgot to mention the clean air act. This says that any aftermarket replacement part that is emissions related, air filter, intake tubing, exhaust, spark plugs, spark plug wires, etc.. must meet or exceed oem specifications(means it needs an E.O. number since it is not an OEM part). There is also another clause in the clean air act that says installation of any parts that do not meet oem specs can result in a $2500.00 fine.

Again, you're completely wrong.

An EO number means the maker of the part paid a government board in California a bunch of cash to "approve" the part for CA emissions.

That's ALL it means.

It has nothing to do with warranty, and it has nothing to do with "meeting OEM specifications" for warranty purposes.

EO is an -emissions- thing.

You don't need an EO number on a shock absorber because it has nothing to do with emissions... Yet it can still void your warranty IF it causes a failure. If it did NOT -cause- the failure then it can't void the warranty, EO number or not.

I can put 50 aftermarket parts on my car and unless you can prove one of them -caused- the failure you can't void the warranty.

Federal law. You even named the law yourself.

I realize car companies can probably afford better lawyers than I can, but I've yet to find a dealership dumb enough to want to go to court once I show them I'm aware of what the law says, and I've had a lot of aftermarket parts on a lot of cars.

So to review-

EO number is an emissions thing, specific to california. It has -nothing- to do with warranty.

OEMs can NOT require you use their parts on their cars. This violates federal law. It's the very reason the law exists in fact, so that you have affordable alternatives rather than being locked into whatever the MFG wants to charge you for their OEM parts.

They -can- void your warranty FOR A SPECIFIC REPAIR if and only if the failure was CAUSED by an aftermarket part. (ie they COULD void it if you used an aftermarket filter that spewed oil all over the MAF... and even if that happens it's only void FOR THAT REPAIR... the warranty on the entire rest of the car remains valid, so they can't refuse to fix a suspension issue later because of your crappy air filter.)

I realize you say you work for a manufacturer... I'd suggest you look less at what the company tells you and more at what the laws actually state.

Here, let me help you-
Database: Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders

This explains what an EO number actually is.

It has to do with emissions. Not warranty. The ONLY thing an EO number means it that they paid California to insure the part doesn't increase vehichle emissions. That's IT. Has zero to do with performance or reliability or warranty outside of emissions.

" Exempted parts are add-on or modified parts that have undergone an ARB engineering evaluation. If the part or modification is shown to not increase vehicle emissions, it is granted an exemption to emission control system anti-tampering laws. This exemption is called an Executive Order (EO) "

·
Registered
237 Posts
I see you will never give up and try to prove yourself right. I apologize for any inconvenience I and the other member may have caused.

For the original post.

If you can find out what code is stored in the ECM let me know and I will try and help you out. I will need exact codes and any freeze frame data that you can get. If you can take your car to a dealer or any reputable shop they can give you a print out of any stored DTC and Freeze frame data that was stored along with the code. If you have all stock parts I suggest you re-install them and take your vehicle to another dealer.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Well, I get that way when people keep posting gross misinformation that's easily corrected :)

To the original poster-

If you can't get the code from the dealer then any autozone will read the code for you for free, no reason to pay a shop for something that simple. Once you have that you can post it and get a lot more specific help on the issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts