Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
let's say you filed a $2500 claim. how much would be the monthly increase on my insurance? 25 yo male with no previous claims (clean driving record)....thanks!

·
8,849 Posts
Depends on the ins co.
Could be $0.

Most likely very slight increase. Filing a claim will cost less than to fix it yourself.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
more facts:

it was around 4 am in the morning and i was on my way to buy breakfast. the car spun on a wet road (first day of rain). nobody was hurt nor hit except my car's bumber and the rims and tires in the front. the police officer said i was going a little too fast, although he did not clock me. i was going around 30 mph on a slight curve. he said the speed limit on that street is 25 mph (it is not a residential area). the officer did not issue a ticket, but filed a report.

the total cost for the bumper is around $250, $400 for painting and installation; two new wheels are $810 total plus two tires for $420 total; alignment is $150. there is no visual damage in the underbody of the car, as per the tech at dealership.

i dont know if i want to claim this through my insurance or not that is why im asking for your inputs, as i want to make an informative decision. thanks once again!

·
8,849 Posts
File the claim. Looking at your estimates, provided the ins company will pay those amounts, you will come ahead getting it fixed in a regular body shop.
For comparison:
Painted Bumer w/ installation $550
2 Tires $250 ($125/tire)
2 rims $? Shop around in the member sale/trade. You do have a spare you could use in the trunk.

·
Registered
670 Posts
First of all, how much is your deductable???? If it's $500, I don't think it's worth claim it... the reason for that is your total is about $2000. and with the deductable, you will be gettting a check amount of $1500.... and some change.....

If I were you, I would find a good body shop that does the job and right and charges you right... like vlad_a said, bumber should be $600 painted and installed, and rims and tires, you could get it from .net sale, or just buy one rim and use the spare.....

That will save you whole lot more money in long run, because insuracne will chager extra$$$ for next 3 yrs for that $1500 check you received...

Shawn

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
if you have a 1000 deductible, I would consider paying this out of pocket... your kinda border-line

You basically get one claim every 3 years. After that your rates will significantly increase. You gotta weight what you think your chances of anotehr claim are within the next 3 years, with what it would cost to pay out of pocket.

I could go either way on this one...

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my deductible is $500. i still have not decided what i want to do. i am shopping for parts though.

thanks once again for your inputs!!

·
8,849 Posts
^^^^
It is simple math:
If the ins co pays out $2,000 ($2,500-deductible), it is $2,000 in your pocket. Will your insurance increase $2,000 in the next 3 years?

This is what the insurance is for - to cover you in an accident.

What if there is more damage then what they have discovered so far?

I had $8,500 accident and the ins co decided not to raise my rates because of a good driving record.

P.S.
Since there is a police report, there is a chance the company will find about your accident anyway when the renewal time comes.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Werd.... I pay $5800 a year to insure my lex...

If you got the cash to cover the accident on your own might not be a big deal to do that way..

The insurance company doesnt care how it happended unless your drunk, they wont care that it was night and you were not going real fast..Just that you are costing them money and that once you do, your more likely to do it again..

Might raise your insurnace a little or alot..But claiming it i wll leave raised for 3-5 years depending on your insurance company... Just weight it out..See if the body shop will lower the price if you do not claim it under insurance...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts