Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am turning 18 in January and want to buy an IS300 around july. That is if insurance won't be too high. Can anyone give me an idea of what my monthly or yearly will be. Also would the car have to be in my aunts name if I put it under her insurance with her as primary driver. Just wonder if I can get it cheaper some way. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
it al depends on three things,
A) Age obviously. They alwasys quote insurance by the youngest driver.
B) Driving record. Good driving record? It won be that bad. Pretty bad driving record / accidents & speeding tickets? It could be as much as 6 - 10K a year.
C) Protective features on the car. If you have the VIN etched into a window / windshield, it makes the rate go down. Having lojack / GPS tracking on the car makes it go down as well. Same with upgrading the stock security system to sensashock & motion detectors.

Check e-surance and progressive. E-Surance gave me the lowest quote, and progressive will not only give you their quote, but quotes of other competitors if you arent already a progressive customer.

Reactions: Lexus_girl

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well, I am paying $892 per year on my '02 IS, which seems to be the lowest I've seen on these boards and not the norm, but I am 29, married, have a clean driving record, and have another car on my policy. I am in the Chicago area. But I know many people are paying thousands per year. You'll just have to get quotes from several companies because there are so many factors. The deductible and amount of coverage matter, also. I have full coverage w/ a $500 deductible.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Seven said:
C) Protective features on the car. If you have the VIN etched into a window / windshield, it makes the rate go down.
What's so special about VIN etching? I don't understand the point of doing that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Call up your current insurance carrier for a quote, if you can.

Some insurance companies give you a good student discount for grades. You can always just have your aunt as the primary driver and you can be insured as a part time driver on it.

I got a quote on a 01 for $720 every 6 months. 22 years old, 1 minor accident, 3 tickets.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
tpc_01: Simply because a vin number on the body/metal can be replaced, hidden but on a window you can't do anything about it but replace the window.
So if your car gets stolen, the guy has to replace every single window on the car, to make sure no one can trace it back :), which is expensive, so therefore a good security against theft.

Reactions: tpc_01

·
Registered
22 Posts
if you are 18 and worried about insurance you might ask your parents about putting you on there insurance.but you should really look into if you can really afford insurance+matinence+car note that is alot for and 18 year old.

but if you can by all means do it but do not get into anything you cannot handle thou.

·
Registered
154 Posts
At your age your looking at 1 to 2k every 6 months. Hell I pay 600 every 6 months and I'm married and over 30 with good driving record. I wanted to trade in my car for a c55 amg and it was cheaper insuring that than my IS300. I don't know what the deal was, have state farm, for my 3 houses and 2 cars. Shit, I'm getting my ass handed to me.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
the101dragons said:
At your age your looking at 1 to 2k every 6 months. Hell I pay 600 every 6 months and I'm married and over 30 with good driving record. I wanted to trade in my car for a c55 amg and it was cheaper insuring that than my IS300. I don't know what the deal was, have state farm, for my 3 houses and 2 cars. Shit, I'm getting my ass handed to me.
Well, that's State Farm for you, they are actually one of the most expensive insurance companies in the country. So we're in the same boat....I've been with State Farm for 32 yrs for my house, 2 cars and family life insurance. they give me a pretty good break but not much.

·
Registered
678 Posts
TeckniX said:
tpc_01: Simply because a vin number on the body/metal can be replaced, hidden but on a window you can't do anything about it but replace the window.
So if your car gets stolen, the guy has to replace every single window on the car, to make sure no one can trace it back :), which is expensive, so therefore a good security against theft.
+rep for you. I learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Im sleeping with my insurance agent (GF) and Im still paying over 100 bucks a month.

Damn. I must not be very good. :blush:

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Lextech1 said:
Im sleeping with my insurance agent (GF) and Im still paying over 100 bucks a month.

Damn. I must not be very good. :blush:
Damn, Lextect1........you should be paying 0. :lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. I think I should be able too handle it. I quit school at 8th grade and have been makin like 27 a year since that. I have almost enough to cash a used one off. yeah after gettin my car I am going to try to get into realestate. I have some connections that will help me get started.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Forget about cashing in on a used one, buy a cheap 3-4k car and use that money to buy the real estate property. If I had enough to cash a car I would rather use that money down on a house or condo, fuck the car, shit depriciates fast. Right now with low interest rates, that's the better way to go. I'm doing it right now and it's actually late in the game to be buying and selling property right now as the market is sky high in California.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah that is a very good idea. I've been battling with my self on what to do. I saw a pretty nice prelude for bout 5K local sale. I've been debating on doing that instead. guess I'll have to wait an see. The other thing I've been thinkn is getting a rental house. once I have renters I could make payments on a car with my money and the renter could make mayments on the house. or get a prelude and soon have 2 houses. AHHHHHH so many options. I don't know what to do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts