Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking, would you have to report to your insurance company that you have a Turbo IS300? Let's say you don't and were involved in a car accident that destroyed your intercooler and damaged other parts as well, would the insurance company cover those damages? I'm not in this situation at the moment, but it's quite possible that I'll be getting rid of my IS to purchase a Turbo IS at some point.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

- Jared

:)

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Would have to talk to them

Some don't like to cover a modded car just cause of cost etc..

There is something like "tuner" insurance or so I have been hearing

·
Registered
387 Posts
your premiums will def go up.. and they might not even cover it.. Cause once they hear u got turbo.. it puts ur car in a whole different class. Not sure all details but definetely wait for more replies before you got tell ur insurance company that

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
This was discussed before and a few members DO have their car covered with mod's...Darkstorm I believe switched insurance companys and actually saved a few bucks after covering $15k-20k in work...

top of screen select SEARCH and go to ADVANCED SEARCH, then enter keyword insurance and select "go faster" as the forum to search :)

Reactions: Burnt IS

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
when i got into my accident and totalled my 02 red IS they said they would cover my aftermarkets if i have receipts.....but i bought them used :( and threw away all my receipts......moral of the story keep your receipts.....of it wasn't a turbo tho

·
8,803 Posts
I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to gieco

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LexISpooled said:
This was discussed before and a few members DO have their car covered with mod's...Darkstorm I believe switched insurance companys and actually saved a few bucks after covering $15k-20k in work...

top of screen select SEARCH and go to ADVANCED SEARCH, then enter keyword insurance and select "go faster" as the forum to search :)
Thanks a lot buddy, I really appreciate it (+rep). Sounds like it's kinda split half and half, some say "f" it don't report anything, others say it's better safe then sorry. I'll speak with my Insurance company and find out what is best. My insurance is State Farm by the way, so it sounds like they are quite strict when it comes to this. Maybe I'll change insurance companies...

Thanks for all of your help fellas.

- Jared

·
Registered
50 Posts
Progressive was awesome during my accident with my modded 02 Civic Si. I gave them all my receipts and without any questions they reimbursed me for the costs. I didnt have any special insurance covering mods or anything, never told them.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Burnt IS said:
Thanks a lot buddy, I really appreciate it (+rep). Sounds like it's kinda split half and half, some say "f" it don't report anything, others say it's better safe then sorry. I'll speak with my Insurance company and find out what is best. My insurance is State Farm by the way, so it sounds like they are quite strict when it comes to this. Maybe I'll change insurance companies...

Thanks for all of your help fellas.

- Jared
When I was with Allstate and I totalled my 01 maxima, they paid me out on all my mods....had about 8k in it and they gave me 50% without receipts, all they wanted was a list of parts and the cost. Im assuming that they just gave it a visual and thats it. But the 2nd time my Acura cl-s got flooded out they made me take out every mod and wouldnt give me money for any of it.....ive heard that state farm is pretty strict when it comes to matters like this.

I wouldnt tell the insurance co that you put an aftermarket turbo or bought one wioth a turbo in it, your premium will shoot sky high now that they know you are into modifying your car. Ive heard of certain insurance cos even dropping people for lowering their car bc it makes the vehicle more "dangerous"

·
Registered
538 Posts
if your driving record id anywhere near mine they will definetly drop you....consider the fact that if you get into a hard enough hit to damage your intercooler your probably getting more than justr that replaced.

·
Registered
15,380 Posts
Japsfinest said:
if your driving record id anywhere near mine they will definetly drop you....consider the fact that if you get into a hard enough hit to damage your intercooler your probably getting more than justr that replaced.
Why did you bump this thread??? The last post was 6 months ago! Pay Attention!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
IMPRIMIS said:
Would have to talk to them

Some don't like to cover a modded car just cause of cost etc..

There is something like "tuner" insurance or so I have been hearing
Dude, why are you under probation, WTF did you do :wtf: ??

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Pawel said:
Dude, why are you under probation, WTF did you do :wtf: ??
I don't think imprimis will be replying anytime soon. :lol:

He got banned for screwing somebody that he sold something to if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
692 Posts
my insurance has covered all my aftermarket parts, lights, lip carbon hood, etc

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
All Insurance companies have different "rules" when it comes to performance mods or mods in general.

Its best to contact your company directly and find out from your agent.

In Illinois, Allstate has somewhat of a strict position when it comes to mods. You are paying insurance premiums for a "Stock" IS300. Not a stock IS300 with 10K in mods. So when your car is totaled, you can expect to get a stock IS in return. Their might be a little bit of money available for aftermarket parts. But, if they have anything to do with making the car go "faster" don't expect much if anything at all in return. If the aftermarket upgrades are lights and a cf hood and rims and tires, that might be a little different.

Also, with Allstate, if you are found guilty of "street racing" and total or damage your car, they can deny the claim all together.

I have heard of some companies offering you to pay an extra premium to have your parts covered, but i haven't found any in Illinois.

in any regard, this is all under the assumption that your "AT FAULT". If you get hit and its someone else is "at fault", their insurance company should be replacing your car for what you had.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
also, NOBODY covers you if you crash at a Dragstrip....;)

some insurance companies have clauses where you can "race in an untimed/unsanctioned/ practice event" apparently it only applies to "road racing"

so I got focked on insurance with my 2001.....didnt get a penny, even after spending close to $3500 a year for full coverage since 2002.....oh well.....I wasnt going to commit fraud just to get money back....it sucked

·
Registered
155 Posts
JayMarino said:
I have heard of some companies offering you to pay an extra premium to have your parts covered, but i haven't found any in Illinois.

in any regard, this is all under the assumption that your "AT FAULT". If you get hit and its someone else is "at fault", their insurance company should be replacing your car for what you had.
I have dealt with Allstate from the other side, and let me tell you that they are a bunch of serious morons.

For example, Allstate customer hit my rear-quarterpanel as he blew a stop sign. Allstate sends a claims agency after me before the case is settled with State Farm (my insurnace). I spoke with the insurance agent, he starts yelling and swearing at me for no reason (once again, his client his my rear quarter panel because he blew a stop).

State Farm - covered all my reapirs when I had a modded Accord. Headlights were replaced with aftermarket (and I was able to keep any difference from stock parts) after an accident. Aftermarket exhaust required repair after another accident, they paid for an aftermarket shop to repair the damage (and nicely tuck the mufflers, heeheehee). Aftermarket rims coevred in repairs.

Now, I really only had 'replacement' aftermarket parts, nothign like an additional turbo or anything...

·
Registered
785 Posts
with my insurance, they have an option to have aftermarket parts corver, i think up to 15,000 is what i have in aftermarket parts, but it cost extra

1 - 20 of 20 Posts