Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me if the insurance would let me get an aftermarket bumper....i mean it saves them money cuz i think it would be cheaper for them....i don't know anything about this....it's the first time it's happened to me....

·
Registered
126 Posts
i did kind of the same thing with my exhaust.....this is wat u do....

First find out the price of the aftermarket bumper and the stock bumper....
Tell the insurance company u gonna take it to ur own body shop and to have the car appraised at ur house(unless its already at a shop)...

Then after they appraise the car, they send you a check for how much they believe it will be for the stock bumper and the labor.....after you get the money, u can do watever u want with the money....u may have to pay the difference if the bumper costs more (otherwise u get more money if its less :D )

If you have it done at the body shop, let them know wat u gonna do....tell them u gonna order the bumper urself and bring it in when u get it......

Thats wat is did, i told them i was gonna get an aftermarket exhaust and i was gonna order it myself, they jus told me i had to pay the difference since it costs more...

hope this helps....

-vic

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
LeXLuV said:
i did kind of the same thing with my exhaust.....this is wat u do....

First find out the price of the aftermarket bumper and the stock bumper....
Tell the insurance company u gonna take it to ur own body shop and to have the car appraised at ur house(unless its already at a shop)...

Then after they appraise the car, they send you a check for how much they believe it will be for the stock bumper and the labor.....after you get the money, u can do watever u want with the money....u may have to pay the difference if the bumper costs more (otherwise u get more money if its less :D )

If you have it done at the body shop, let them know wat u gonna do....tell them u gonna order the bumper urself and bring it in when u get it......

Thats wat is did, i told them i was gonna get an aftermarket exhaust and i was gonna order it myself, they jus told me i had to pay the difference since it costs more...

hope this helps....

-vic
Do what this guys says! also take off all your bumper side lenses, license plate bracket, grill, etc whatever you can remove.

Cause when they write the estimate all those little things can be factored in! you get the dealer list price for them plus labor of install (IT ADDS UP!) you can probably squeeze and extra $300-$400 out the insurance!

When my RX-7 got hit.... the estimate was $850ish and I took off the moldings, side markers, grill, headlight trim, on the side that was hit and the estimate went up to $1290. :eek:

Its all about how well you can fool someone. If you can get a broken headlight borrowed from a NJ .netter you can install that onto your car in the meanwhile and also claim for the headlight and possibly the HID ;)

You gotta think things through.... this insurance stuff is a big business, you gotta know how to play the game.

Good Luck... and PM me if u need any moer tips!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Forgot to mention to those who cant read between the lines, those little removable items are factored into the estimate for cash value. then you replace your original stuff you removed and pocket the cash the insurance paid you for them. 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts