Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I apologize if there is a post about this, please link me (I couldn't find it!!)
I have an IS250 but I will be out of town for 6 months to a year, I don't want anyone to drive my car even to keep the battery going. Could someone please tell me what to do if there is anything I need to do before going away? Should I disconnect the battery? And what do I do when I get back and the car doesn't respond to my smartKey? Can I get a new battery from costco or do I need to tow it to Lexus (haha, not that I would). Sorry if this is a total noob question!

ALSO, does anyone recommend a certain brand for car cover??

:D an

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
You could buy what they call a trickle charger, it would keep the battery charged while you're away.

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
This is the one I have, I used it when I stored cars over the winter.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I'd do the following:

• Fill the tank and add fuel stabilizer, then drive a few miles to make sure the stabilizer has made its way through the entire fuel system.
  • Change the oil. Dirty engine oil can be acidic, you don't want that in your oil pan for months.
  • Get a car wash and wax the car, to protect it during storage. Cover it with a car cover.
  • Jack up the car on four jack stands, to avoid developing flat spots on your tires.
  • Install a battery trickle charger as mentioned above.

I assume the car will be garaged. If not, consider renting a garage or self-storage space to keep your car safe and clean during your absence.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'd do the following:

• Fill the tank and add fuel stabilizer, then drive a few miles to make sure the stabilizer has made its way through the entire fuel system.
  • Change the oil. Dirty engine oil can be acidic, you don't want that in your oil pan for months.
  • Get a car wash and wax the car, to protect it during storage. Cover it with a car cover.
  • Jack up the car on four jack stands, to avoid developing flat spots on your tires.
  • Install a battery trickle charger as mentioned above.

I assume the car will be garaged. If not, consider renting a garage or self-storage space to keep your car safe and clean during your absence.
you beat me too it...GREAT advice. I store my VR4
with this procedure every winter.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts