Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was installing the front and rear TRD braces and everything was pretty smooth and I had the front all done and was just tightning the last 2 screws for the rear brace. Those screws seemed a bit rusted but I went in to tighten them anyways. So as I am pulling on the wrench the head comes flying off one of the screws. So now I got a screw halfway in and no head to take take it out. I am not too sure what to do about it. For now I tightened all the other screws and left it just like that. But I am hoping once I can figure out a way to take the screw out I will do that and put a new one in. Thanx, if anyone has tips on taking the screw out.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
just get some vise grips (locking pliers) grab the bolt and unscrew it. then go and find a bolt that will work. make sure you get a bolt with the right thread pitch, and etc....

·
Registered
253 Posts
They make a special drill bit for removing broken bolts. You use it by drilling a small hole in the bolt and using the bit to reverse the screw out. That screw is hardened and will be a bitch to remove. You'll need a diamond tip drill bit and a lot of patience.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
but if its only halfway in then just just the vise grips. or you can go out and buy a tool you won't need........ up to you my friend. it would be nice to have that bolt remover tool though....especially if you plan on using rusted bolts in the future... :shame:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the bolt is not sticking out so I cant use any kind of pliers to unscrew it, it is like 2.5mm inside the hole, So I might have to take it to some show and have them drill the sucker out I guess. I will go and find out how much they would want for something like that.. maybe they will do it for free heh, Ill keep my fingers crossed.. Thanx, guys.

·
Registered
946 Posts
You probably don't need to drill it. Sears sells a set of screw extractors that dig into the metal and grab the screw. Then you just turn it out. Since there's no tension on the screw, it should be easy. Costs about $19.95

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've always referred to the bolt extracters as "easy outs."

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hehe thanx guys, I was hoping maybe I could use a dremel to make a cross hole (--) like that so that I can fit a flat screw driver and spray that sucker with WD40 and hope that I will be able to just unscrew it. I am not sure if that would be the best way tho because I would need to take the whole thing off, and I dont know if its worth it heh. Ill go and see what home depot have to say about that, and whichever tool gets that job done without me taking the whole brace off, is going to be the chosen one :) Thanx again guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts