Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Runs on Rice
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi experts,

I'm installing TE's S1 kit, and I found out that the walbro intank fuel pump has a different wire connector than the stock one. So it's not exactly direct replacement. The connector size is the same, but the spades inside are bigger. How should I hack this connector? Should I solder it with the stock female connector?

Thanks! +rep for the advices...

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
cut original plug, solder Walbro plug to wires. The new pump should have come with a new connector with about 3" wires or so.

I REALLY suggest soldering/heatshrinking, and NOT butt splicing.

Kane

·
Runs on Rice
2,900 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
The pump should have came with a new pig tail. Cut the old one and solder in the new one. Use shrink wrap not electrical tape to cover the solder.

·
Runs on Rice
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Kanine21 said:
cut original plug, solder Walbro plug to wires. The new pump should have come with a new connector with about 3" wires or so.

I REALLY suggest soldering/heatshrinking, and NOT butt splicing.

Kane
Thanks Kane.. wish you were here.. ;) TE's didn't include a new connector for it to work.. oh well, nothing's perfect. Everything else is going well so far.. :)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
i cut and solder and then used heat shrink wrap and then used electrical tape. be careful and good luck.

Reactions: NaFooEsi

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
yea, last thing you want is sparks right on the tank.

Reactions: NaFooEsi

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
how far are you on the install?

·
Runs on Rice
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Another question.. the instruction says to drill a small hole in the jet valve of the fuel assembly to .94 inches to have better suction from the other side of the tank. What does it mean by .94 inches? It can't possiblly mean a .94 inch hole, cuz that's not a "small" hole. Does it mean to drill .94 inches long? There's already a tiny hole inside. What drill bit should I use? Thanks!

·
Runs on Rice
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TBKO said:
It is suppose to read .094. Sorry for the typo.
Thanks Jeff. No biggie.. we figured it gotta be a typo, but because it showed in two different pics, I had to make sure.. :)

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
i fyou haven't doe it yet - i used butt connectors and crimped the wires as opposed to sodering and shrink wrapping - i don't think the adhesive in electrical tape will hold up to being submerged in gas very long.

but the butt connectors that are the round to female flat style then plyer them down to fit nice and snug over the walbro connectors. make sure you get the rubber covered ones

like that guy

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
so don't user electrical tape when you solder the wires for the pigtail. I thought there was no spark in that line since it is in the fuel tank. I uses electrical tape when I did mine and no issues yet and it has been in there for good 6 mos. Should I take it out?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Shrink tubing would be best.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Paul and jason.. call me if you got questions... I talked to NAfoo last night, you guys are making good progress... She should be up and going in no time...

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
She's definitely coming together. No real snags yet...just asking questions to clarify item before we proceed so we don't make dumb mistakes.

Only need to put the piping together now and install a few electronics and we will be ready to test.

Thanks for all the support guys!

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
AIM me fer more questions.
i think I was grumpy last night. Hadn't eaten. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts