Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those who has L-Tuned kit or just side skirt, do I have to apply 3M double side tape on it? thanks

·
Registered
589 Posts
The seal that runs along the top edge is double sided and there are special clips that insert under the car that get screwed into through the side skirts.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Is there anything other than the screws at the bottom and the seal around the top? i was thinking there was double sided in the middle area too. my seal at the top needs redoing.

·
Registered
589 Posts
thedon said:
Is there anything other than the screws at the bottom and the seal around the top? i was thinking there was double sided in the middle area too. my seal at the top needs redoing.
I don't recall there being any in the middle. Just that top seal is double sided.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Re: hm

jjakkolim said:
so how many screws are needed to install the side skirt properly?
and where? just at the end( 2 screws)?
Without me crawling under the car there are three or four points under the car that get screws and at both ends in the wheel wells

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
old post but might as well reply for anybody doing a search later on.

The skirts need double sided tape at 4 spots. If you look at the side skirts off the car, there are 3 zones on the inside where you can put double sided tape about 9 inches long and 3/4 inches wide. Also on the fin at the front of the side skirt, you should put tape there (thats where it was when my installer did it). Also you should buy the rubber gasket from TRD shipped to your Lexus Dealer because TRD wont sell them direct. So you put the double sided tape on, then put the rubber gaskets along the top and then apply it to your car and hope it holds. Ill put pictures of mine once its back on. I took off my right side because the rubber gasket wasn't holding and the side skirt dropped away from it, didn't look good.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
a few pics.
Shows the gasket along the top and the 3M red super strong tape with the unpealed part still on before I finally stuck it on the car. First pic shows the fin in the front, thats 1 spot for the double sided tape.
the other picture shows one of the 3 spots along the side skirt where you put the double sided tape. The gasket rubber piece also has sticky tape on both sides. Of course there are screws all along the bottom and on both ends of the side skirts to also hold it in place. All in all my finished product looks way better than what I originally got from wetworks garage. Well at wetworks it looked good too but a few days later it was already coming apart.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
A few more pics of the passenger side which I just did today. You can see the tape and gaskets a little better. In these pics the red film over the tape is still attached on the inner side where it goes against the car.
This should help the Carson Tuned guys out when they start to get their kits. If they are about the same this is where the doublesided tape pieces will go. Just use Scotch 3M Exterior Mounting Tape Super Strong #4011. Get two of the 60 inch kind. The gaskets are sold separately, should come with the skirts. I got mine from TRD thru South Bay Lexus.

Reactions: 300IS

·
Registered
885 Posts
sorry to bring an old thread from the past, but this is indeed very useful

thedon, is the rear valance held on in a similar fashion as the sides?
I am planning on doing my own install and would like to gather as much info as possible

oh, and also do you have any difficulties with scarping of the front bumper? from memory you have the 18" ltuned rims?

many thanks

·
Registered
857 Posts
REp for your picture explaination.

Thanks!!

How about for the RMM Front?? Do you have experience with this? I think it is fairly easy DIY with 3M strong exterior double sided tapes and a few screws.. right?

I havent got mine actually, its coming hopefully.

PS. OZ Q is also mine.

I think im gettin rmm front and ltuned side (they actually look fairly similar to me) and I have l-tuned rims as well.

none of them are on the car yet, just sitting around until spring.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
With the L-Tuned/TRD Japan sides, the mounting points on the underbody are actually under the painted rubber underbody coating. You have to cut a hole in the rubberized undercoating to expose the factory mount holes in the stamped metal.

·
Registered
99 Posts
well needed THEDON thank u, putting on the l tuned sides this week!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts