Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my Supra Intake cam machined down to fit my VVTI head, I would like to install the TT valve covers however the 1st cam cap that has the VVTI solinoid is far too large and either needs to be replaced or shaved down, I know you cannot simply replace a cam cap with doing a line bore job. The people whom have done this, does anyone know if they just shaved their cap down to fit then weld the holes up or did they go about replacing it? I already asked Tsoprano, he didn't know.

Adam

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Usually guys who get rid of the VVt-i by means of a machine cam, stick with the GE valve covers, also retain the no1 cap. The only person that I know who supposedly have a VVT-i head with a GTE valve cover. I personally don't think he has a post 98 VVT-i GE head on there, but he says he does. I have asked him how he got the covers on there, he still haven't answered yet either.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Its not worth it. Don't go through the trouble, the cost will exceed the function by far. I recommend you swap heads at this point if you really want the look. That will be way better than modifying what you have. Remember, all non-turbo heads use valve covers with a relief in the center so the throttle body can sit above them. If you manage to put GTE valve covers on the head, you have to go with a log style manifold, or get an overhead y-pipe highly modified, as the GTE covers do not have a relief in the center. Imagine how tough it will be to clear the valve covers without a relief in the center! Ugh! Once again, I don't think its worth it.

Kill

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
worked fine for me....with minimal machining....I love it...people look at it and its all GTE parts....aside from the water pump

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am doing the log manifold, I already machined the GTE cam down to fit the VVTI head.

TSop, you're saying it worked for you with minimal machining. Does this mean that the shop took that cam cap that has the VVTI and milled it down to clear the GTE covers? I would guess thats the easiest way to do it, if you had to put a new cap on there I would have to pull the head and line bore the entire intake side of the head. I'm guessing just cut all that crap off of there then weld up any oil passage that may be there. Not much help with this online so I'll have to figure it out for myself.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
as far as a i know, ended up using another regular cam cap.....removed the vvti camp cap completely....not sure about the extra oil feed for the vvti though

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as far as a i know, ended up using another regular cam cap.....removed the vvti camp cap completely....not sure about the extra oil feed for the vvti though
The oil fed is cake to block off, thats not a issue, but you shouldn't just use another cam cap, those cam caps are machined to match your head, unless you line bore the head to match the new caps you will have problems down the road.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
The oil fed is cake to block off, thats not a issue, but you shouldn't just use another cam cap, those cam caps are machined to match your head, unless you line bore the head to match the new caps you will have problems down the road.
I dont know what he did but his car has been running for quite some time so he did it right. I would also like to know what he did cause im doing the same thing

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
I dont know what he did but his car has been running for quite some time so he did it right. I would also like to know what he did cause im doing the same thing

No offense to Mark, but I think it's harder then what he says it is. I don't think he is even using a GE VVt-i head. I have asked him in the past as how him and his shop accomplish the work, but unfortunately no response.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
No offense to Mark, but I think it's harder then what he says it is. I don't think he is even using a GE VVt-i head. I have asked him in the past as how him and his shop accomplish the work, but unfortunately no response.
It is. He wasn't there to watch the shop line bore. Maybe the replacement cap was a perfect swap, but I doubt it. I would NEVER recommend simply replacing a cap in either the head or main, as they are machined to match the block on which they came. No offense to you Marc

Edit: The reason it is so crucial to use the original caps is because cam caps don't use bearings. The oil clearance you have is what you get, and its a matter of removing material from ALL of the caps or the entire cam to get the proper oil clearance. Installing a new cap may throw off the bore centerline for the rest of the caps, which will eventually lead to premature wear and or failure of some sort. If your intentions are to use a cap from a different head, make plans to have the caps line bored and checked for oil clearance.

Kill

·
Registered
20,661 Posts

I still have the vvti GE head...I never changed it....just the components, still stock valvetrain

I dont know the exact details how they did it, was back in 2006, and the guy from that shop is no longer there....

I wish I knew specifics to share with everyone because of course I would...sorry

-Marc

·
Registered
503 Posts
No problem, I'll give this a try and update everyone on how it went, if anyone wants to install GTE cams my machine shop can do it no problem 407-830-7278 Chris. Chris has built some low 9 second Supra motors and does awesome work. I'll post up the info when I have it. I'm going to just try and have my machine shop mill down the cap and cut off any VVTI crap, then weld up the oil feed holes. If this doesn't work I'll line bore with a new cap.

Tsoprano, if you get a chance pop off that intake valve cover and take a pic of the cap, you should be able to tell right away if he used a different one or if he modified the stock VVTI one. There will be some welds and cutting if he did that. Its the 1st cap cap on the intake side.

Adam

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
No problem, I'll give this a try and update everyone on how it went, if anyone wants to install GTE cams my machine shop can do it no problem 407-830-7278 Chris. Chris has built some low 9 second Supra motors and does awesome work. I'll post up the info when I have it. I'm going to just try and have my machine shop mill down the cap and cut off any VVTI crap, then weld up the oil feed holes. If this doesn't work I'll line bore with a new cap.

Tsoprano, if you get a chance pop off that intake valve cover and take a pic of the cap, you should be able to tell right away if he used a different one or if he modified the stock VVTI one. There will be some welds and cutting if he did that. Its the 1st cap cap on the intake side.

Adam
x2 i would like to see what was done

1 - 14 of 14 Posts