Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i'm bout to get my GReddy EVO II exhaust, and i wanted to know how hard is it to install the exhaust system yourself. i have an older bro who knows a thing or two bout the exhaust...but, is there any welding involved, or is just basically "plug-n-play"?

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
thksdad said:
hey guys, i'm bout to get my GReddy EVO II exhaust, and i wanted to know how hard is it to install the exhaust system yourself. i have an older bro who knows a thing or two bout the exhaust...but, is there any welding involved, or is just basically "plug-n-play"?
bolt on bolt off

get some WD-40 should be good to go

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what bout the hangers...do they just slide into their spots, or what? haven't gotten time to really put my car up on the lift to check it out.

·
Registered
484 Posts
don't use WD-40 on the rubber hangers, they'll deteriorate. Use soapy water to lube them up so the hangers slide in and out. spray the two bolts connecting the b-pipe to the exhuast with some WD-40 and let it sit (~ 1 hr) for a little before you try getting them off. it'll make things a lot easier. disconnect your battery before you do anything, install the exhaust, reset the ecu, reconnect battery, and you're done. it'll take the two of you and a couple of jacks/jack stands. takes bout 30 min. easy install. good luck.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
izmir41500 said:
don't use WD-40 on the rubber hangers, they'll deteriorate. Use soapy water to lube them up so the hangers slide in and out. spray the two bolts connecting the b-pipe to the exhuast with some WD-40 and let it sit (~ 1 hr) for a little before you try getting them off. it'll make things a lot easier. disconnect your battery before you do anything, install the exhaust, reset the ecu, reconnect battery, and you're done. it'll take the two of you and a couple of jacks/jack stands. takes bout 30 min. easy install. good luck.
just curious but how does wd 40 deteriorate the hangers?? also, i just install my tanabe exhuast and i didnt reset the ECU, is it required?? i read that the ecu recalibrates over time so reseting isnt mandatory...what im noticing though is that my mpg has dropped since i installed the exhaust, but i have a feeling that it is being caused by the lead foot syndrome LOL

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Pb Blaster!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but don't be surprised if your not happy as to how the EVO II sits/hangs. I think it hangs awfully low, do to this I'm considering getting rid of it and getting the Dragger.

I hope you disagree and like it though.

Good luck

- Jared

·
Registered
484 Posts
WD40 and rubber doesn't mix, it'll crack and such once it's dry. it's always good to reset the ECU once you've done a performance mod.

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
Mine doesn't hang low and I love the way that it sits. It looks really clean. Anyways, my CarsonTuned rear will be here Friday so it might be good that it hangs low?

Burnt IS said:
Not to rain on your parade, but don't be surprised if your not happy as to how the EVO II sits/hangs. I think it hangs awfully low, do to this I'm considering getting rid of it and getting the Dragger.

I hope you disagree and like it though.

Good luck

- Jared

·
Registered
341 Posts
izmir41500 said:
WD40 and rubber doesn't mix, it'll crack and such once it's dry. it's always good to reset the ECU once you've done a performance mod.
what do u mean by "reset the ECU" after performance mod?!? fuel/air ratio? if so, by what method or procedure on ECU? tell us. thanks!

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Dakomo said:
what do u mean by "reset the ECU" after performance mod?!? fuel/air ratio? if so, by what method or procedure on ECU? tell us. thanks!
yea..i would understand to reset the ECU if it was going to reset the sensor readings for example the MAF sensor in the intake, or an 02 sensor in the headers...

·
Registered
484 Posts
Dakomo said:
resetting the ECU means clearing out the performance parameters your ECU has 'learned' from your current driving. in theory your ECU will eventually correct for the decrease in back pressure or increase in air intake from exhaust or intake.
the procedure requires you to disconnect the battery, holding down the brake for about 30 seconds, draining the whole car of power. everything is reset.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Usually I only Do resets only when i Change the o2 Sensor or mess with it in anyway becuase if you change like a new intake, headers or down pipe more air goes through it soo you have to reset your ECU if not your engine light might come on and your car will sometimes go Crazy like no power when you gas it and weird reactions when you gas it It happend to me ALOT soo just reset the ECU soo It can get used to the New Flow of the Air..havent had a problem since then

1 - 14 of 14 Posts