Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i just installed my toyomoto gen 2 race pipe on my car (i dont have any headers and the only other thing down there is a l-tuned exhaust). After driving the car around for a while i noticed that when, at a stop, i had the ventilation system on the "fresh air" setting i would smell this horrible charcoal-like smell, but when i used the "recycle" setting the cabin air was fine.

When i got out of my car i could smell this charcoal-like smell coming from the bottom of the car and also from the exhaust (i figured it would come from the exhaust). My question is whether or not this is normal or if i have a leak. I can't really hear any hissing sounds coming from under the car but i thought it was strange i would smell that charcoal-like smell from the bottom of the car. Any feedback is appreciated

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
That is normal.....when I first installed my axel back, it smelt pretty bad and it went away in a couple of days or a week. A couple months after, after installing the header, some other stink smell appeared and disappeard. The stink smell is normal...wait to u get ur header in, its gonna stink more lol.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm ok..yea i've only driven it for about 50 miles so far so i'll just have to wait and see haha...i thought somethin in my car was burnin (and i dont smoke) so i was like wtf. haah thakns for the advice

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
it is practically normal. just wait for the stankonia to go away in a couple of days or miles depending on how much u drive

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
It's normal. If it's brand new, it's just breaking in. You'll also smell if you used something to break the bolts. When I installed my used Toyo racepipe, it smelled bad for the first couple days because of the burning fumes of the WD40 and other crap.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The smell is perfectly normal. However, you could still have a leak that is not related to the odor. If you want to make sure you dont, feel free to get under the car with some soap and water in a spray bottle and spray the connections at the l-tuned and at the headers. You can also wrap your hands around them if you have any major leaks and feel for air. Enjoy your new Y.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
i had that too, and ir ealized a part of my under body panel was actually touching the piping, so that is why. after enough melted off, then yeah it stopped smelling =]

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DarkSmurf said:
The smell is perfectly normal. However, you could still have a leak that is not related to the odor. If you want to make sure you dont, feel free to get under the car with some soap and water in a spray bottle and spray the connections at the l-tuned and at the headers. You can also wrap your hands around them if you have any major leaks and feel for air. Enjoy your new Y.

thanks for the advice. I did the soapy water test, no leaks.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
im really curious if i have a leak between my b pipe and rear section and im interested in trying that spray bottle method..is all you have to do is spray and pay attention to if the water particles move??? i was also wondering why do you need soap? couldnt you just put water in bottle??

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
pinoyballah said:
im really curious if i have a leak between my b pipe and rear section and im interested in trying that spray bottle method..is all you have to do is spray and pay attention to if the water particles move??? i was also wondering why do you need soap? couldnt you just put water in bottle??
water = moves

soap = bubbles

1 - 15 of 15 Posts