Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a AEM intake from a previous owner and once installed it seemed to choke up or hesitate once reaching 3.5k -4k rpms. Also got a check engine light which im sure is a CEL code

i read a couple forums with similar problems
Some saying the scoop cause turbulence, a heat shield could fix but it would have to be custom made, or could just be the intake

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I bought a AEM intake from a previous owner and once installed it seemed to choke up or hesitate once reaching 3.5k -4k rpms. Also got a check engine light which im sure is a CEL code

i read a couple forums with similar problems
Some saying the scoop cause turbulence, a heat shield could fix but it would have to be custom made, or could just be the intake

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue?
Read the cel code. As far as the scoop. Take it off and see if the issue goes away first.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
242 Posts
I have a dcsports intake. No issues. Honestly I don’t see how any bolt on intake for these cars can cause issues. They are so simple to install unless I’m missing something, they shouldn’t give any running issues.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
242 Posts
Those codes are pending. As in not actually set yet. I would bet on:

1. MAF is failing or dirty.

2. Vacuum leak somewhere after the MAF (maybe a silicone boot is torn or not properly tightened down, or a vacuum hose is left off somewhere AFTER the MAF)

3. your upstream o2 sensors are slow to react or bad.

My money is on #1 or #2

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

2. Vacuum leak somewhere after the MAF (maybe a silicone boot is torn or not properly tightened down, or a vacuum hose is left off somewhere AFTER the MAF)

My money is on #1 or #2

My money is on #1 or #2
So MAF is clean i noticed that the vaccuum hose after the MAF is not a really tight fit, the diameter of the intake is a bit smaller than the stock airbox, maybe a smaller hose would work Or maybe i need a stronger clamp so its more snug?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts