1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
you lose visible light.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey guys, I was also very skeptic when Neil told me that he was buying the 8000K hid lights. He came over my house last night and I must admit that his new lights look sweet :p .
Anyhow, we compared my stock lights to his new ones and you don't seem to loose any visibility with his new lights. Actually, it seemed like they were brighter and the color it gave off was awesome.
Your car is looking good Neil. :D

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
you lose visible light. They might "seem" brighter cause the color seems "hotter" than usual. But you lose light in the visible range which is I think around 700nm in wavelength. You gain

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VIsible light 100%or more stock 4100K ...THe road is brighter
These are the real ones 8000k.. NOT THE CHEAP SHIT
They just came out So DON,T know what hell you guys taking about
dimess or VISIBLE LIGHT YOU have to believe it SEE IT
Just ask FSUSUCKS. :chill:

·
Vendor
4,593 Posts
bad to the bone said:
VIsible light 100%or more stock 4100K ...THe road is brighter
These are the real ones 8000k.. NOT THE CHEAP sh*t
They just came out So DON,T know what hell you guys taking about
dimess or VISIBLE LIGHT YOU have to believe it SEE IT
Just ask FSUSUCKS. :chill:
The "SEE IT" part is the important part. Your eyes are the only thing that can tell you they are better especially at night. I will take a pic when I find a section of road that has signage at various distances. The distance is amazing and the strain relief on the eyes is substantial.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
hehe again
they may seem brighter but they aren't
The bulb is still a 35 watt bulb.

So what's the difference? This bulb is more bluish.
I'll simplify this. Say a 35 watt bulb puts out 100 boba's.

A normal 4100k HID bulb will put out 70 boba's around the 700nm wavelength (visible light). 15 goes to shorter wavelength (redish) and 15 goes higher than that (bluish).

An 8000k HID bulb will put out the same 100 boba's. Only this 8000k puts it out over a different part of the spectrum. The 8000k will put out say 50 boba's around 700nm in wavelength. 5 boba's to shorter wavelength and 45 to higher wavelength. Since more is devoted to higher wavelength, it'll seem more bluish in color. The color of the light makes it seem hotter and brighter, but if you take a look at the amount of visible light you get, you are actually getting less.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SophieSleeps said:
hehe again

A normal 4100k HID bulb will put out 70 boba's around the 700nm wavelength (visible light). 15 goes to shorter wavelength (redish) and 15 goes higher than that (bluish).

An 8000k HID bulb will put out the same 100 boba's. Only this 8000k puts it out over a different part of the spectrum. The 8000k will put out say 50 boba's around 700nm in wavelength. 5 boba's to shorter wavelength and 45 to higher wavelength. Since more is devoted to higher wavelength, it'll seem more bluish in color. The color of the light makes it seem hotter and brighter, but if you take a look at the amount of visible light you get, you are actually getting less.
Visible light is actually more

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
bad to the bone said:
Visible light is actually more
Explain why. It's actually less.
You can go ahead and call Jian at suvlights.com and he'll explain it like I did. You have less visibile light. When I talked to him, he advised against the 8000k.

·
Vendor
4,593 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
hehe again

My arguement with this is that the frequency response for rods and cones is different. In darker light, rods translate most of the visible information in the eye. Rods also are more sensitive in the blue wavelength of light. At night when you use your lights, the blue light creates a more semaless transition for your eyes to digest between the dark road areas and the light areas. SImilar to walking into a dark room after a really bright room. You cannot see for several seconds while your eyes adjust. I have also noticed a higher degree of visiblity from reflection off of signs. and better viasbility around my field of view. But this will not be the last time this is discussed and everyone will have there opinion. :lol:

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Fig, what you're talking about is a little different I think.

8000k bulbs will give you less visible light, but blue hues may give you contrast which allows for some differences in response time.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
Fig, what you're talking about is a little different I think.

8000k bulbs will give you less visible light, but blue hues may give you contrast which allows for some differences in response time.
Sophie is correct. If the wattage is similar, then when you shift toward the smaller wavelength or the blue color, then you will lose the amount of radiation emitted over the entire visible spectrum. When you peak in the white color, then you maximize the amount of light radiated in the visible spectrum. As for which is brighter? Well wattage, the characteristics of the bulb, etc. will all come into play. It is a fact though that the higher temp. bulb will emit less light in the visible spectrum.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Wxman said:
Sophie is correct. If the wattage is similar, then when you shift toward the smaller wavelength or the blue color, then you will lose the amount of radiation emitted over the entire visible spectrum. When you peak in the white color, then you maximize the amount of light radiated in the visible spectrum. As for which is brighter? Well wattage, the characteristics of the bulb, etc. will all come into play. It is a fact though that the higher temp. bulb will emit less light in the visible spectrum.
Amen brothaman.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
Wxman said:
Amen brothaman.
Now send me some dots!

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
now you're at a reverse 69...dick in the air and fergina venting to atmosphere.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.