Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone. right now im putting on the arp extended studs and i cant seem to find any info on this. can any one help me on how to remove the hub cause the studs wont fit through the back i have everything off please any info would help or if theirs a different way let me know.

Thanks!

Will post pics after install to help others out..

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
the studs should come out through the back through a whole in the cover....??? or atleast mine came out with some PBblaster and a hammer. there should be a hole somewhere. is everything off the surrounding area brake shield? rotor???

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

i want to remove the hub were the studs are mounted cause my arp studs are way longer.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
too late I used a pulley and went balls out and looks like i snaped the bearing j/k!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First these are the studs im using compared to stock

Next I got the hub off.

But now it dont look right it has an open bearing and I dont think I poped off the hub the right way! is it supposed to look this way? when I see bearings I see them closed off..

·
Registered
876 Posts
I havent done bearings on the IS yet, but it looks like you just had the bearing cap/cover come off with the hub. The C-clip is still retaining the actual bearing and the o-ring is still intact, so I don't see the problem.

It'd be the same sequence if you were to inspect the bearing and repack with grease.

If you can, try to get the cap/cover off of the hub, reinstalled over the bearing assembly and then reinstall the hub.

If you wanted to, you can remove the bearing, clean them up and regrease them entirely.

Reactions: R_TUNED

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
First these are the studs im using compared to stock

Next I got the hub off.

But now it dont look right it has an open bearing and I dont think I poped off the hub the right way! is it supposed to look this way? when I see bearings I see them closed off..
you just bought a rear wheel bearing for your car. thar part left on the hub is the bearing race, once that comes off the bearing its junk. the bearing is sealed and not ment to come apart but since yours is now apart you must buy a new one. the hub is also pressed into the bearing so you will have to have that done if you dont have a press. at this point i would stop go buy 2 rear wheel bearings if your motivated to do the other side. if i would have saw this earlier i could have told you it wouldnt work. the car is not ment to have extended studs installed. Lexus only enginered enough room for factory studs, this should have been common sense and you should have figured that out before ripping it apart. sorry to sound like and asshole

Oh and just cause that snap-ring is still there doesnt me the bearing is still good.

If you want me to explain how to get the bearing race off the hub I can and I would be more then happy to explain how I would do it with simple hand tools.

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
Here notice that it shows the bearing and both of the races are not reusable parts. As for the snap ring when I do wheel bearings I will reuse that part if its not bent to hell upon uninstalling it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok koo thanks for the pic.So if I dont remove the bearing I dont have to replace it or do I have to no matter what? cause it says non-reusable part

Reactions: leonard_is300

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
well if you remove the hub chances are the bearing race will come out with it. so if your going to remove the hub on the other side of the car you will need another wheel bearing. and if you remove the bearing from the carrier its junk. you cannot press out the bearing and then press that same bearing back into the carrier. and to press in a new wheel bearing into the rear carrier you will need to remove the rear carrier from the car. and after doing this you will need to do an alignment on your car since you will be taking the lower control arm off the carrier and changing the setting.

You really created alot of work for yourself. sometimes before doing a job its good to step back and think about how you are going to do what you want and what needs to be done. going through the job in your head should be the first thing you do, and if you have questions ask before you do anything and if you dont get answers on here right away call a local garage and ask. and if they dont answer your question dont do the job. next time have all your ducks in a row!

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
And if you just take your rear carrier off the car and take it to a shop they can press out and press in a new bearing for you. which i think would be the best thing to do. Oh and dont forget to give them the backing plate aswell since that will go on before the hub goes into the wheel bearing.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
yeah I have a press I work at a machine shop and I really dont like going to shops I rather do things on my own. sometimes making it a mission is the best for some to learn.I did this on my other cars but they were all fwd.most of the stuff I more less knew but I asked questions to double check if what I knew was right.And the hub when pulled out the bearing does not come out with it.The bearing stays in tack which does not need to be replaced.

and the part that you said I created alot of work for myself lol only if you knew whats going on over here this little project is nothing.but your a great help + rep for the help as well as the others I will post pics of the finished project

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
well either way that wheel bearing is junk, you split it in half in a sense and it is no good anymore. its a sealed bearing mean it should not come apart and be reused. and yes you created alot of work for yourself over a small useless task.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,Sorry for this late reply I did get it done and everything replaced. Car was took out for a test drive in the canyons and everything works and sounds fine. I did take pics of the process and I will post them up but, the day after I went to the mountaines and got injured snowboarding and was sent to the hospital but as soon as I get better I will do an update stay posted!

Thanks, RTUNED

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.