Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kinda old, but I haven't seen this article mentioned so....

The IS300 New Kid on the Block

It does not reveal anything new, but it does talk about the origin of IS300.

The new IS 300 is the sharpest-handling, most responsive Lexus we've ever built.
I am really curious as to what kind of skidpad and slalom numbers the IS300 will generate. The Motor Trend measured 0.87G and 66.9 MPH on the "best" Lexus (GS400). (Note: Each magazine measures things differently.)

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
A skidpad figure is really a tire test... Because the IS300 has Bridgestone RE040's (similar to GS400's RE030's), I'm sure it will hold the road well. However, because it's nose heavy it may have a greater tendency to understeer more heavily, thus hurting its times.....
Eric.....

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
If the suspension is tuned properly, understeer may not be as pronounced (i.e., it may still be there, but it won't be as bad).

Originally posted by EricK:
A skidpad figure is really a tire test... Because the IS300 has Bridgestone RE040's (similar to GS400's RE030's), I'm sure it will hold the road well. However, because it's nose heavy it may have a greater tendency to understeer more heavily, thus hurting its times.....
Eric.....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Be carefull when looking at that "inside Lexus" site - it has been there for a long time and the info is a bit out of date.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
JW,
I'm sure they would have made suspension modifications on the IS300 because of it's heavier 3.0L engine... However, nose heavy is nose heavy and you still must obey the Laws of Physics.....

Eric....

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm sure tires will be a big part of the handling characteristics......thank goodness for double wishbones all the way around...think of it as more precise and not as soft as the GS300/400. One article says that you can toss it around and still feel in control, and another (German Biased Publication) said it's not as "user friendly" as a BMW 3er. Thje proof will be in the ride and drive training that I'm heading to on June 2nd in Chi-Town!!!

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Yeah I've heard conflicting reports...... I can't wait to test drive the car and find out for myself....
Eric...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
EricK
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing