Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my injen intake, and it sounds good, and there no installation problems. Except for this god forsaken motherf*cking heat shield. I can't wiggle the heat shield into position to even begin to start mounting it in over the exhaust manifold. If anyone can help me, let me know, because right now I'm driving w/ no heat protection for my filter.

:(

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had a problem with my heat shield, but it was due to the brake distribution bracket being in the way of where the bolt is supposed to mount the shield to the car.
The exhaust manifold is very far away from this location
:-?

·
8,827 Posts
There is a possibility you are mounting it in the wrong spot. :shame:

·
Registered
2 Posts
vlad_a said:
Gee Mr. thanks for your quality post but mabey you have never seen this shield........You would have to be a complete moron to try to mount it in the wrong spot, not to mention that you are a moron if you don't know where you exhaust manifold is.

Moving on.....I was there helping with the install and it just didn't want to go in there, we just thought we should check to see if other people have this problem AND they did. We just wanted to see if anyone had a solution.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
u got an INJEN intake with which heatshield?

my intake came with the heatshield that blocks the heat from the rest of the engine...not the one that goes over the headers...
it sounds like u got the header heatshield...

·
8,827 Posts
pwrhockey said:
vlad_a said:
Gee Mr. thanks for your quality post but mabey you have never seen this shield........You would have to be a complete moron to try to mount it in the wrong spot, not to mention that you are a moron if you don't know where you exhaust manifold is.

Moving on.....I was there helping with the install and it just didn't want to go in there, we just thought we should check to see if other people have this problem AND they did. We just wanted to see if anyone had a solution.
There is no reason to be rude, noob! :shame:
Let me guide you through:
1) You have INJEN intake.
2) You have a heat shield.
3) #1+#2=You have Injen intake with a heat shield that came with it.

Obvious, right?

Here is what may not have been so obvious to you:
YOU ARE TRYING TO MOUNT THE HEATSHIELD IN THE WRONG SPOT! :shame:
Therefore, my post may have been the most helpful.

The heat shield does not go over the exhaust manifold. It makes no difference if you do or do not know where it is located. :lol:

Read the manual, look at how others have installed it, you'll figure it out. :chill:

·
Registered
171 Posts
pwrhockey said:
vlad_a said:

Cool brease,
How 'bout helping your friend with a post that presents a guestion with more specifics.
If you were there helping with the install....perhaps you can help with specifics.
Perhaps mentioning where the shield mounting hole is in relation to where the vehicle hole is.
I gave specific informatin in my first response.

Save the sarcasm and spend a minute with more brain and less lip there sport.
:D

·
8,827 Posts
js300 said:
the new injen intake is available with an exhaust manifold cover.
That would explain it. :oops:

There is still a normal heatshield that goes around the intake filter, I assume. :-?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, alright I feel bad. Let me clarify because after re-reading my post I realized that I may have been unclear. I have the gen 3 intake with an exhaust manifold cover, just like the one shown in the pic. I just had trouble putting the heatshield in place and working it in to mount it. Not only could I not figure out where the brackets were supposed to line up, but I couldn't wiggle it to fit over the headers in the first place. Now, if anyone had the same problem and knows how to fix it, please let me know.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I can't say if the INJEN heat shield is anything like the K&N FIPK heat shield, but when I was putting mine on last night, I had to unbolt and move the bracketing for (I can't remember, but I think) the ABS controller. Under the bracket was a hole that the heat shield bolted into, but I had to move the ABS bracket first, bolt the heat shield into the hidden hole, then re-attach the ABS brackets. I dunno if that will help any, because the heat shield mounts may be completely different, but I thought I'd give it a shot! :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
do you really need to put a heat shield if you have an aftermarket intake? or is it just like a plus side to it?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
The heat shield helps cooler air get into the engine. I remember reading some very technical and longwinded explination from one of the mods (very good explanation though) on the physics of why cooler air is better for the engine. But the short answer is that it's better to have cooler air going into your engine. The heatshield tries to ensure that the engine can't heat up the air going into the intake. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

MG

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Dude, if you can't mount that shield with the instructions given and the picture provided, you may not want to be working on your own car. It might be in your best interest to have it installed by a mechanic and pay the $45.00 per hour (as it shouldn't take more than an hour to do it, but that might be a minimum labor charge) to put it in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.