Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read this yesterday and I believe it to be true.

THE TRUTH ABOUT BLUE LIGHTS

A normal halogen or xenon bulb produces light throughout the light spectrum. However, the majority of the light it produces comes of whitish/yellow. It does produce a small amount of blue light, but it is smothered by the large amount of white.

When companies sell blue bulbs, they are coating the bulb with something that filters out everything EXCEPT the blue light. That is why their lights seem blue. HOWEVER, BECAUSE THE HALOGEN DOES NOT PRODUCE MUCH BLUE LIGHT TO BEGIN WITH, DRIVING VISIBILITY WILL SUCK.

HID works a different way. There is a tube filled with gas. A current is thrown from one end of the tube to the other, creating light. HID produces a much greater intensity of light throughout the light spectrum, including blue or purple. There is no filter on these tubes.

This is why it is still legal to have HID...because even though it may shine a little blue, the rest of the light produced by the road is not filtered out. Visibility is still good.

PIAA makes lights, and they are street legal. They are different colors however. They are still street legal because they use a different filament. These filaments are less coiled and therefor produce a narrower, more intense light. Because it is narrower, it is easier to see the blue or purple tint that is produced by the bulb. However, PIAA does not light the periphery of the road because of the narrow beam...

Any questions or comments? I'd like to hear them. Thanks. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Unfortunately, the IS300 lights only look blue for like the first 30 seonds after they are turned on, after that they just look like white halogens to me.
The BMW on the other hand stays blue throughout, any idea where to get the exact BMW bulbs as a replacement? (they dont seem to be just "blue coated")
Thanks

------------------
-IStheBest-

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually didn't put this in my first post.

Someone else mentioned earlier that it isn't the bulb that makes the color of the HID. It has something to do with the reflector.

In fact...I'm not sure if you would consider HID lights as "bulbs". They are simply gas filled tubes.

The HID system does not work like normal headlights. They have their own ignition system, so to simply get a new "bulb" probably will not work.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I do know that the only reason for the little bulb in the lights is for parking lights. That is what lexus service told me. They said the power of that little light is not enough to effect the Hid system in any way.

Rab

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That little city light inside the headlight assembly doesn't affect the headlight. It's a 5watt bulb.

My bulb is blue, and it doesn't change the HID at all.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by SophieSleeps:
That little city light inside the headlight assembly doesn't affect the headlight. It's a 5watt bulb.

My bulb is blue, and it doesn't change the HID at all.
Sophie: What bulb did you buy for the city light....do you have the part number on the bulb....i would also like to do this but i dont want those generic little blue bulbs that turn white in a week.

thanks

------------------
Later

ONYX 01

·
Registered
23 Posts
BMW use different HID bulbs. Im not sure if all IS300 come with HID. If you have the HID lights they stay "blue" the hole time. Also I would not think that BMW blubs will fit in the 300 lights. mainly because the bulbs in the Bmw work off coil packs. well at least they did. Havent looked at a BMW in a few years. Also some of the bulbs are gas charged bulbs. Hey, they could turn pink like Jenny's audi S4 lights do.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Sophie... My HID's start out blue and fade out a little but they never quite make it to white.. I can definitely see a blue tint in them when i look at my IS at night. they still have that "Cool Expensive" look to them

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
McCarlin. I actually didn't change the DRL.
I just disconnected them. I either run with my HID, park lights, or nothing at all.

But, they are a 9005 bulb. It is shaped like an L just like the 9006. The 9006 is designed as a headlight, the 9005 as a highbeam.

For a blue color, I would suggest Polarg Max Blue simply because I know that it is very very blue. You won't get good visibility with these bulbs though, but you may not be looking for that.

Also, Kerr, please read my above post. I hate it when people call them "bulbs". They're gas filled tubes. And you speak of them like they're interchangeable. HID is a whole system with it's own ignition. You cannot simply exhange parts and expect it to work. There will be a lot of custom fitting to do so.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by SophieSleeps:
McCarlin. I actually didn't change the DRL.
I just disconnected them. I either run with my HID, park lights, or nothing at all.

But, they are a 9005 bulb. It is shaped like an L just like the 9006. The 9006 is designed as a headlight, the 9005 as a highbeam.

For a blue color, I would suggest Polarg Max Blue simply because I know that it is very very blue. You won't get good visibility with these bulbs though, but you may not be looking for that.

thanks sophie thats what i was looking for....where did you buy them though????

thanks

------------------
Later

ONYX 01

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by mccarlin:
thanks sophie thats what i was looking for....where did you buy them though????

thanks

what was the part number of the bulb again....9005 or 9006? this is for the city lights right???

thanks

------------------
Later

ONYX 01

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I was told secondhand from the GM of a Lexus dealership that they changed their HID's to be more like natural light, thus less blue. All I know is my dad is pissed about his new LS how it looks kinda plain. I concur, the xenons on my 98 look a lot better, well, cooler at least.

·
Registered
571 Posts
has anyone here seen the HIDS on the Audi TTs?

DAYUM, those my friends, honestly look like cop lights,, they're so damn blue.
they're nice and all, they're the bluest HIDS I've seen on the luxury cars.

Next time you see one, take a glance and just see how blue it is.

·
Registered
730 Posts
so what could we possibly do to make our "HID" look a bit more whiter or bluer?? any suggestions?

i love the way our HID's look when we first turn it on, there-after it just look slike a regular halogen light....=(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts