Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One member asked me how I did the install, so I figured I will post the instructions for everyone to see. The specific model number is Infinity Kappa 693.5i .

1) Measure and drill 4 holes for mounting of the new speakers. It is a little tricky because they have to be made with a relatively high precision. The new speakers fit tight into the opening. One of the tricks is to measure the first two holes, closest to the front, from the top, then approximate them and drill the holes from the bottom, from the inside of the trunk. The other 2 holes can be measured by installing the new speakers from the inside of the trunk, upside-down.

2) Because Infinity Kappas use large magnets and are overall bigger than the stock speakers, there is a fitment problem with the rods used in the trunk mechanism. The nice thing about Kappas is that they are made from plastic, a material that is easy to work with.
Figure out where the rods hit the speakers and "dremel-out " an opening in the speaker's plastic body.

3) Cut out a "gasket" to use between the new speakers and the rear deck. A 6mm foam sheet it needed. Put one of the new speakes upside-down on the foam piece and outline it using a marker. Cut around the outlined area. It is a good idea to leave an extra 3mm-5mm on the outside edge. Take a piece of carton, align it from the bottom of the rear deck to the speaker's location and outline it from the top. Cut out that piece and use it to outline the inside of the cut-out speaker-shaped foam sheet. Cut around the outlined area.

4) Install the "gaskets" on the speakers.

5) Install the screws that will be used to mount speakers into the speakers, puncturing holes in the "gasket".

6) Connect Cross-overs to the speakers.

7) Install the speakers.

8.) Secure the Crossovers. I taped them to the thick wire loom running behind the rear seat, right where the rear seat mounts.

9) Do the wiring, etc.

10) Enjoy your much better sounding system.

A few notes for the newbies:
a) Rear OEM speakers cannot be used with aftermarket AMP or Headunit.
b) OEM AMP cannot be used with aftermarket Headunit.
c) Aftermarket rear speakers cannot be used with OEM AMP.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
You need to make a wooden baffle out of 1/4 inch wood. Don't just drill the speaker into the rear deck, the sound will resonate terribly.. The wood baffle will help the resonation by alot.

If you have access to a jig saw, you should be able to make the baffle no problem. Just make sure you stencil everything properly. And also, You can use the factory speaker as a stencil. I DONT reccomend wood any thicker because it will push up on the speaker grill, and your deck wont seat properly.

PM me if you need help, or you can give me a call.. PM first though...

·
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cannot say that the sound is bad. There is no resonance or distortions. Overall, there was a huge imporvement over stock setup.

I was going to make a baffle.
I even took my Dad's 1 1/2 HP router. Due to the size miscalculation on my part and the router bit not being really designed for it, it didn't work out well. When I looked at what was left of the room I was working in, I realized I made a huge mistake working indoors (below freezing outside). There was about 1mm of dust everywhere, and I mean everywhere. It took me a good hour to clean everything up.

Reactions: VP500
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.