Registered
6,488 Posts
Good to hear.

Thanks for the follow up.

Digger08

·
The Furious
7,271 Posts
I will try them next time just for the oil change and make a decision whether I will go back for other work based on that. Thanks Lilaki

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Just a quick bump.

I had some service done today (brake pads) to the IS F at a new place today in Streetville...in the west end. I was a little hesitant to service my IS F and Brembo's just anywhere, but decided to give this new service place a shot.

It was outstanding!

A former Lexus master mechanic (20 plus years) has opened a shop in the west end, and he has been coming out to the monthly meets (just cause he is interested in the cars) not to solicit business.

I made an appointment in advance, and he went to work straight away.

For anyone looking for a new place to service Lexus vehicles, who is experienced with our vehicles, keeps appointment times, with no waiting and screwing around with prices and quotes. He tells you straight up, and charges reasonable prices for service.

I highly recommend Rick's shop. You will not be disappointed.

Rick Pike
Aussie Auto Inc.
65 Tannery St. (Erin Mills Prkwy & Britannia)
Streetsville
905- 858-2886
[email protected]

Digger08

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just a quick bump.

I had some service done today (brake pads) to the IS F at a new place today in Streetville...in the west end. I was a little hesitant to service my IS F and Brembo's just anywhere, but decided to give this new service place a shot.

It was outstanding!

A former Lexus master mechanic (20 plus years) has opened a shop in the west end, and he has been coming out to the monthly meets (just cause he is interested in the cars) not to solicit business.

I made an appointment in advance, and he went to work straight away.

For anyone looking for a new place to service Lexus vehicles, who is experienced with our vehicles, keeps appointment times, with no waiting and screwing around with prices and quotes. He tells you straight up, and charges reasonable prices for service.

Rick Pike
Aussie Auto Inc.
Streetsville
905- 858-2886
[email protected]

Digger08
Thanks for the info Digger!!

Great to hear we have a place in the west end...hoping to check him out soon.

·
Maverick
1,508 Posts
Just a quick bump.

Rick Pike
Aussie Auto Inc.
Streetsville
905- 858-2886
[email protected]

Digger08
With a name like "Aussie Auto"...are they really good at our cars?

·
The Furious
7,271 Posts
I would like to check out Aussie Auto, how are their prices? I met Rick at the meet, seems like a cool guy. Beats driving out to Bullock. I stopped that a while ago anyway.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
He is from Australia not works on them , he worked on JDM cars for Toyota.
Otherwise he would only be working on Holdens and i have never seen one here , have you ?
He's been at a Lexus dealer for 20 years working on Lexus' only , so you would think yes he is " good at our cars ".
In fact i used to take my other Lexus ES to him in the 90's to be serviced .
He is by far more than trustworthy and is more than honest in what is happening and needs to be done. No gouging on pricing or guessing.

He has a oil change special from what i recall , $25 or $30 with oem filter ,taxes in .
I was there today to get my brakes done , and have been there for tons of other work , like front brakes , rear suspension arms , bushings , driveshaft adjustment , tire swaps , changing my rad , alternator and the list goes on . Also he has a full techstream program for data acquisition just like the dealers computer and software . the only difference between him and the dealer is your butt is not sore when you leave . Oh yah and no car wash . Ive referred atleast 30 people to him and they keep sending more of there friends to him as well because its nice to have someone who knows what they are
doing and is honest with everything including pricing. You get your car back the way it came in , no damage , no mystery stains and no curb rashed wheels from joy rides .
I gave up on Andy at bullock a while ago when he charged me $900 for 5 hours work to change my starter and 2 mounts never mind had me waiting for 3 hours for an 11am appointment before he started the car . So it was lots of fun keeping my 3 year old busy for that time.

Then i sent a car to get body work done last week as he used to be amazing at paint . Key word "was" amazing . Now he is just average , with pits and dust and fisheyes in the paint . He over sprayed the whole car and i had to spend 5 hours high speed polishing it to remove it . Then used the wrong masking tape which pulled off the clear coat on the old paint. But the best part was the huge chip of paint on the edge of the hood that was lifting that he tried to deny was even there even when he knew it was there and told the clear bra guy to do it anyways , i guess hoping to cover it and the owner would not see . I was not impressed and neither was the owner of the car but he was glad he spent the money to pay for me to inspect the car before payment . Oh yah and the metallic flake used in the paint code was wrong so you see large grey areas where the paint started to settle in the can and shows blotchy . I expected perfection for $3000 just for a hood bumper and 2 fenders and 2 strips over the rear wheels . It was only a 1800 job as it had way too many deficiencies and excuses .

·
Registered
84 Posts
Took my IS to Rick at Aussie yesterday for an oil change and to get my clutch damper removed(try getting that done at a dealer). Great experience, very thorough, and easy to deal with. Went over the whole car and at the end it was still cheaper than just an oil change at Northwest.

Big Thumbs up for Aussie Auto!:approve:

·
Maverick
1,508 Posts

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I didn't know he even had a website?

Digger08

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Ahhhhh,...does anyone still machine brake rotors? Is that even still recommended?

I need a definitive answer!!!

Lex/Digger,...what's the word on the street?!

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Ahhhhh,...does anyone still machine brake rotors? Is that even still recommended?

I need a definitive answer!!!

Lex/Digger,...what's the word on the street?!
I can't see why not, even my Brembo's can be done (not recommended) - I have very little experience in this area. I would assume if they are within the factory recommended tolerances and the shop will assume this liability. I am thinking if they don't...is because of the cost/ labor effectiveness versus the inexpensive replacement costs these days....its all about equipment, training, time and effort

Digger08

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Most shops don't have lathes anymore as it costs more than new rotors and it is always better to have thicker than thinner.
I just replaced mine with extreme stop rotors for the rear and they work great , nicely zinc washed and best of all got rid of me vibration issues.
but Canadian tire will still lathe them for you if you bring them in .

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
^^ Yea, that's what I was thinking guys. Jeese, after 5 years of salt, >135km, I wouldn't bother ripping material from them, I would just buy new ones. Just installed the first set of new pads on them, so probably wait another 100Km before I change the rotors. :)

·
Maverick
1,508 Posts
Aussie Auto Experience

So my driver side caliper seized last night. It was giving off heat and brake dust like mad.:jawDrop:
The next morning, 8am, I begin my drive to work...but I can hear the drag on the caliper. I didn't want to drive the 50km to work this way for risk of ruining my rotor, pads, etc.
So I dropped by APH first since they are so close to my home. Edward hoists my car, removes the wheel, and unsticks the pistons in the calipers--free of charge. APH is a class act and these are good guys. Ed gives me quote for a replacement, but can only take me the next day.
The caliper stays unstuck my entire ride to Oakville, and on my way I call Rick at Aussie Auto. I mention to him that since he is out in the West End, maybe I could swing by his place on my way back home that evening...hoping my caliper would remain unstuck.
He slots me into a spot that afternoon, and gets two replacement calipers. I wanted OEM, but after calling Lexus and being quoted $600 EACH...well, I got remanufactured ones. They look identical to my original ones with all the same engravings and markings, come painted black, and are only $140 each.
Finally meet up with Rick. Super nice guy, clean shop, and knows his Lexus/Toyota.
He also lets you see him at work in the garage, and takes his time to do things right. He's also a good conversationalist, and also looked over the underneath of the car, going over ball joints, control arms, checking general wear and tear items.
The install went well, only one hour, and the experience was positive. Highly recommended. Considering my first call was to Bullock--and considering Andy at Bullock didn't even return my call after I left him a message--well, I'll be visiting Rick more often. Plus--he's closer for me. Bonus.
M
PS Despite 150,000kms, and the seized piston...the rotors were fine. Pads will need replacing in a few weeks, though, so I'll be seeking pad replacement options. Suggestions? EBC Greenstuff? Stoptech? Ekobono?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts