Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI - this was a problem before the supercharger - so I don't think it's related.

The car was fine all summer long. Then for some reason as soon as we got into 40s and 30s, I've been having starting problems.

I have to crank the engine 4-6 times before it will start.
It only happens somedays and not every day (very sporadic) - and only happens in the morning (1st time you start the car that day)

After the first start, I can just jump in and start it no problem for the rest of the day. I don't have any CELs, and my car has new plugs (the problem existed before the new plugs).

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
maybe time for a new battery? just a thought, cold weather is hell on those things, or you could put a battery blanket on it.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DHCrocks said:
maybe time for a new battery? just a thought, cold weather is hell on those things, or you could put a battery blanket on it.
the meter in the dash says 14 volts (like it always does)
I don't think it's the battery?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
just because the voltage is at 14v doesn't mean that it's good. Besides the 14v is when the eninge is running and the alternator is charging it. Static, with engine off the voltage of a fully charged battery is somewhere between 12 and 13 volts or there abouts. Cold temperatures affect the capacity of the battery more then anything else and decrease the amount of current (amps) that it can deliver. So the voltage may still seem ok, but it could have a reduced CCA (cold cranking amps). They have batteries that withstand the cold better then others.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just had trouble starting my IS last week. I had to crank it like 5 different times before it got goin'! I was a bit pissed because it is only a year old, and it SHOULD NOT have this problem.

I don't think it should be time for a new battery :pissed:

I called LExus to see if they had reports of this ame problem...and they of course said no.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
3 times since I had my turbo installed, I had a similar issue. But...mine would not start even cranking it 20 times. After waiting a minute, it would start right up. I was told that might happen here and there when it gets cold out. Something about too much gas and I flooded it?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have your answer if you are boosted. Right after my S/C install my car would not start and then finally after cranking for 2 mins it started. The problem was from the factory security system. Something with the wiring of the S/C must have done it. Apparently it was arming itself and causing the fuel shut off feature to kick in. If you would use the Lexus key opener and lock and unlock a few times it would reset. I had Lexus disconnect the system and bought one that actually works. Not a problem since. Another odd thing was that I needed a new battery 3 weeks after the S/C install. And the battery was only 4 months old. I think between the additional load the S/C puts on the alternator and my aftermarket stereo it is quickly killing the new battery. I am in the process of finding a stronger alternator now.
Dean

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AC556k said:
I have your answer if you are boosted. Right after my S/C install my car would not start and then finally after cranking for 2 mins it started. The problem was from the factory security system. Something with the wiring of the S/C must have done it. Apparently it was arming itself and causing the fuel shut off feature to kick in. If you would use the Lexus key opener and lock and unlock a few times it would reset. I had Lexus disconnect the system and bought one that actually works. Not a problem since. Another odd thing was that I needed a new battery 3 weeks after the S/C install. And the battery was only 4 months old. I think between the additional load the S/C puts on the alternator and my aftermarket stereo it is quickly killing the new battery. I am in the process of finding a stronger alternator now.
Dean
Thanks Dean,

I did have this problem before the supercharge as well :-?
Did you replace the battery with a deep cycle one?

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
I'm having battery issues as well...but it could be related to the fact that i never drive my car. I've been through 2 batteries so far.

I don't think it has anything to do with wiring. The factory alarm really doesn't have anything to do with wiring of any piggyback systems.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well, my company has an account with Batteries Plus so they brought me out a new one and I installed it. I told them to give me the best one available. My alternator does show that is is charging the battery as it should be but I don't believe it. The load tester that I hooked up to the bad battery showed down to 5 volts with a load on. We sell batteries for electric wheelchairs and scooters so I know a little about batteries. Occasionally you get a bad cell which won't allow it to charge effectively. I am still hoping it was just a fluke, but time will tell :x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts