Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
i was thinking of removing it too....whenever i go up onto a drive way, that part always scrapes then i hesitate and think its my bumper then i park and hurry and crawl under my car to check it, for no reason :-?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JAEohEN said:
i was thinking of removing it too....whenever i go up onto a drive way, that part always scrapes then i hesitate and think its my bumper then i park and hurry and crawl under my car to check it, for no reason :-?
I always get that impression also. :-?

-Ringo

·
Registered
565 Posts
yeah if there i no point of it than i'll take mine off too. I always scrape that dang thing...let me know if there is a point to it....

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
There is a point to them, they serve an aerodynamic purpose. On my Mr2 they were called "speedflaps", they help divert air around the tire which helps decrease high speed shimmy. I've seen some guys that just couldn't get the 80mph shimmy to stop even with good balancing/alignment/new tires and they installed these and it fixed the problem. They weren't available on US spec Mr2's but the later year JDM ones had them and they were easy to retrofit.

Moral of the story, unless you drive under 65mph all the time, keep them on.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
- I leave mine on, that way I can tell how low my front is off the ground...
- I think mine only sits a couple of inches off the ground

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Yup they are for aerodynamics.

I like the fact that they scrape... it gives me a warning to be careful so i don't scrape my bumper. Better to scrape the plastic than the paint.

·
Registered
646 Posts
IS JOE said:
Yup they are for aerodynamics.

I like the fact that they scrape... it gives me a warning to be careful so i don't scrape my bumper. Better to scrape the plastic than the paint.
yea this is very true!! Kinda like a caution haha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts