Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 IS its all stock except for n intake. I am the price away of puttin a turbo into this but have some debate and am kinda skeptical about whether or not to purchase this "kit" from a buddy. Its a IHI RHB5 turbo i dont kno much about turbos and was informed that this turbo would not fit nor be effective in my lexus. I need advice and input as to whether this would be a project i should do. Will this turbo work for my IS, how affective will it be, will it give me the boost i want, what all would i need to replace and upgrade to install this if it will work? Please any help and advice or experiences would be wonderful. PM me or post back ne thing thanks.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
to be totally honest, if you do not know if that turbo is going to fit or work then you just need to drop the whole idea for now. Research as much as you can! The more the better and definitely it will help you out later down the road!

Theirs a lot of information on this site and links to companies on here that sell turbo kits for our cars! Swift Racing (SRT) is a sponsored company give them a look! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
I personally dont think you're ready at all since you're asking questions like that. A turbo setup is way more than just a turbo. And you need all the other components including an EMS = $$,$$$. Do it right the first time and research everything please before you make a decision. You need to weigh a lot more than just "will this turbo fit?"

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I personally dont think you're ready at all since you're asking questions like that. A turbo setup is way more than just a turbo. And you need all the other components including an EMS = $$,$$$. Do it right the first time and research everything please before you make a decision. You need to weigh a lot more than just "will this turbo fit?"
yeah hey thankx i kno it takes a lot more than just a turbo but bc im not n expert i thought i would run it by n get info from you all as to what i would need and all b4 i just jump into. "not ready" fuck you mean not ready maybe to install it myself but as far as ready to drive ur far wrong.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i gotta start somewhere n what better place than a forum on specifically IS to help me. Im not n expert by ne means and i would like to put more power into my IS and shall this not be a good idea for my "level of readiness" what do you suggest i do to get what im lookin for outta my IS?

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
It sounds like you're the type of person best suited for an entire kit.
There are few that I would trust.

I would first start at Swift Racing Technologies - Home Page
They have been at this a very long time and have done the most "shippable" kits.

They have used several different turbo's over the years and through their own research and experience selected the best ones for each person's application.

I use a GT40R. I used to use a T04B, and a T04E. Different turbo for a different purpose, just like you use the same shoes for every situation or use the same gun for all your shooting.

Give them a call. They will set you up right.

I would stay far away from Turbonetics as they have done little to no research and I believe they also blew their test motor on their prototype car. I don't believe in their fuel setup...though I don't know if they updated it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i found a JDM T3 and a T04 turbo..... which i beleive is fit for our cars vs. my prior option of the IHI. Would i be able to purchase the individual turbo and use parts from my buddies set up on my IS like the fuel reg., turbo timer, guages, and intercooler?

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
i found a JDM T3 and a T04 turbo..... which i beleive is fit for our cars vs. my prior option of the IHI. Would i be able to purchase the individual turbo and use parts from my buddies set up on my IS like the fuel reg., turbo timer, guages, and intercooler?
There are 2 types of people who come on this forum: Those who listen and take advice, and those who ask questions after question and then disregard the advice given.

Right off the bat, you seemed like the latter.

If you want to have a good experience with this car, you should consider changing your attitude. Take some advice. We're giving it because we want to see people be successful so don't take it as criticism.

Like I said in my previous post, you seem like a great candidate for a full kit.
Why? Because you really don't seem to know what you're talking about. This question is just the first of hundreds that you'll ask. You'll spend months trying to figure out what everything does, worry yourself with filtering the right stuff to learn and ignore.

A fuel regulator is actually a "fuel pressure regulator" and to use it you'll have to tap your fuel rail and run a return fuel system. A turbo timer has nothing to do with turbo'ing your car. Gauges have nothing to do with your kit, nor how good/bad your car runs. The intercooler does and that is really the only thing that you've mentioned (other than the turbo) that is actually related to piecing together a kit.

The swiftracing kit is by no means a "generic kit". The parts that they offer with their kit are things which I wish I personally could have started with 5 years ago. It would have saved me years of frustration and my current 2 year downtime with my boosted monster.

·
Registered
601 Posts
omg... couldnt have been better put... +rep for that..

seriously.. I want to throw cash after cash on shit, but then I come here and ask a question, and TAKE THEIR ADVICE. their always right, BECAUSE they have the car, and know what works...

..this site just has a way of doing things, SRT intake w/ race ecu, a couple diff exhausts, and SRT for the kit!!!

listen to the site man, your going to need help one day lol

·
Registered
349 Posts
Great post!! I agree..do the research. Understand each individual part before involving yourself..I got into it a little fast as this is my first boosted car and still installing the kit 3 1/2 months later car is still down. Listen to SophieSleeps....do the research and listen to what members are saying as they are the most experienced! +rep Sophie =)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah i understand what you all are sayin and beleive me im taking the advice i just felt like the one comment was down talkin to me because i dont have the experience n knowledge as some of you and to tell me im not ready whos to judge i want to learn and improve. believe me tho i much appreciate alls input. this isnt the first thing ive done from the site and have used this site for EVERYTHING since discovering it. the site is awesome and i have taken the advice and changed the plans. im looking into a kit bc i am not ready to piece my own kit (obviously weve all noticed that.) So i am going to invest in a kit. but i am going to have so many questions and look up to you all for support, advice, and help bc theres no one better than everyone here that runs this car and has had experiences. thankx all

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so my next question......... sry to say the SRT 6 grand or so kit is high for my financial capabilities. so ive been looking around and found a JDM'S 01-05 LEXUS IS300 2JZGE T4 TO4 TURBO KIT has ne one experienced this set up and any input/ advice for this modified thought of mine. much appreciate everyone including the structural criticism. its all to better sry for getting defensive. im open for suggestions about this kit. thanks again

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
so my next question......... sry to say the SRT 6 grand or so kit is high for my financial capabilities. so ive been looking around and found a JDM'S 01-05 LEXUS IS300 2JZGE T4 TO4 TURBO KIT has ne one experienced this set up and any input/ advice for this modified thought of mine. much appreciate everyone including the structural criticism. its all to better sry for getting defensive. im open for suggestions about this kit. thanks again
Most other "kits" are not complete. They lack fuel management or other things.
Give SRT a call and see what they can do for you. They will not steer you wrong.

Things I would consider a must nowadays:
Standalone fuel controller (Any of the Haltech's, TEC3, AEM, Motec)
255lph fuel pump

If you decide to piece things together yourself, I'll give you an example of what can happen:

I am doing my oil drain. My drain fittings are $32 a piece. I ordered 2 of them. I finish my welding and realize that they are the wrong angle to fit. I order 2 more at $32 each. I'm ready to install, but since then, my compressor housing has to change for clearance and now I need to buy another $32 fitting. The line itself is about 30 bucks.

So now I have a box full of fittings worth over $100 that I'm never going to use.

That was the oil drain. Now talk about my fuel system. That's 2 feed lines, 1 return, and a line from the rail to my regulator. I don't want to think about how much money I wasted trying to piece it together, and how many tools I had to buy, and how many trips to **** Depot I took.

Reactions: coolmonk

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I have a 2001 IS its all stock except for n intake. I am the price away of puttin a turbo into this but have some debate and am kinda skeptical about whether or not to purchase this "kit" from a buddy. Its a IHI RHB5 turbo i dont kno much about turbos and was informed that this turbo would not fit nor be effective in my lexus. I need advice and input as to whether this would be a project i should do. Will this turbo work for my IS, how affective will it be, will it give me the boost i want, what all would i need to replace and upgrade to install this if it will work? Please any help and advice or experiences would be wonderful. PM me or post back ne thing thanks.
Get TURBO, but not your friends.......do it right the first time with people who have installed and tuned a couple of is300's. Turbonetics or SRT has been some names Ive always heard decent stuff about. GO BOOOOOOOST

1 - 20 of 46 Posts