Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got Nav in my IS!!!! it is sweet.

Maybe a bit off topic but I'm using Pocket PC as Nav in my Is300 so this may still apply to IS300 specific and another other car I place the unit in...

Just install GPS antenna and Nav software on my PocketPC ipaq 3970. It is pretty sweet. I'm using suction cup PDA mount so it is position right next to my dash for easy viewing. My cost is pretty inexpensive since I have a pocketPC already. GPS antenna and software ran about $250

I'm using Routis Nav software for easy User interface. Routis is same as MyNavigator and IGuidance software. Designed for easy touch screen operation for most common on road GPS function. it even have a big button keyboard GUI for alpha-numeric input. Point of interest includes shopping and restaurants. So easy to use even my wife is impressed with it.

Stuff need to acquired was:
Routis software ($100) & Holux mouse antenna. ($129)
I will be switching to Compact Flash GPS receiver soon for total wireless GPS operation.

Stuff I already have was:
Ipaq 3970 Pocket PC (free from work)
256meg SD card ($80)
Expansion pack plus with CF adaptor & expanded battery. ($100)

I know the pocket Pc stuff i have wasn't cheap but a Dell Axim can be had for less than $300. Also a Pocket PC have a lot of other functions.

I also have a pocket PC phone edition from T-mobile so I will be testing Nav on that soon. Cable I bought for the GPS antenna didn't work. If it works I will have GPS- GSM Cell, GPRS wireless internet and Wireless activesync for my work email thru Exchange server and wireless POP3 email for all my personal pop accounts. Talk about versatile all in one unit. PM me if you have basic question on PPC's I know this is a IS300 forum after all.

give props to "Routis" for easy finger touch screen operation, 3d Nav map, and Voice prompts. Routis is only available for PC and pocket PC's. Sorry Palm users.

Moderators.. Delete post if you find it off topic but I think this is a great Nav alternative to IS300 or actually any car.

·
Registered
14 IS350
378 Posts
I know the toshiba has a addon port for VGA video so you would need the VGA capable screen. I believe theres 1 company that makes them. I forget who it is.

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
thedon did this awhile back....

pics, courtesy of the don from his website:

·
Vendor
4,596 Posts
DaGixxerKid said:
I know the toshiba has a addon port for VGA video so you would need the VGA capable screen. I believe theres 1 company that makes them. I forget who it is.
stay tuned on this one, I have an e740 and will be doing this.

We but 6.5" LCD panels at work for our tape libraries. Cost is about $250 then another $100 for the drive board. Should be cool though 8)

·
Threadlocker
7,912 Posts
for whoever's interested, GARMIN (the portable in car GPS nav leaders) have a PDA/NAV unit available all in one package...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IC Don has the Ostia software which came with the Pharo GPS kit.

I tried Mapopolis and looked into Ostia..

Routis has the best User interface in my opinion. pretty much 90% of the function can be operated with your finger (without Stylus). Also Voice prompt by a clear professional sounding female voice. That's what I like. Plus This is the Latest rendition of the software. Routis 2004. version.

check out demo at http://www.deluo.com/Merchant2/merc...re_Code=DE&Product_Code=RSSA&Category_Code=GS

Don't forget the PDA car mount so you can place the "Nav" within favorable position for best viewing.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
where do you get that litle clamp stand thingy, i have been looking for one, i have the HP like The Don has

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.