Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got some 3-piece rims with a polished outer lip. noticed some white stains on the lips, looks like regular soapy water runoff but its not liquid, obviously. anyway, ive tried, waxes, polishes and mother's mag aluminum polish. none of the above mentioned products did anything to remove the stains ! i bought the wheels used so i dont know what the stains are fromm i just know that the .net member who sold em to me told me that they could cleaned off, but nothing's working. anybody have any experience or advice ? thanks in advance

·
Registered
403 Posts
Please post pics if possible.

Sounds like etching or oxidation.

Is the lip clearcoated? What kind of metal? Aluminum?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahhhhh tried wheel cleaner and nothing happened... am i screwed ? i really hope that i dont have to get all of my rims re-polished

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
i think i know what your talking about. i have 3 piece's as well and i have the same thing as you. im pretty sure your gonna have to get it re-polished. if you try to hard to get it out your gonna end up dulling the part your trying to clean.

btw what rims are they?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
i know it will scratch up the finish a bit but have you tried rubbing compound? that is of course if you want to avoid having them sent off to be polished and save a few $$ :) good luck on this

·
Registered
370 Posts
i had the same problem with one of my rims,
none of that waxing is going to work.
What most likely happened was the guy took his car to a shop and thought the rims where chrome rather then polished and they sprayed acid on it..
thats what happened to me
once that acid is sprayed it will turn the lip white and cant be fixed unless you repolish it probably cost you anywhere between 80-120 a rim

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
congrats, the clear coat is gone. You might as well save yourself the trouble, and just send them out to get repolished and clear coated again.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
To Fusion what it is, is probably they the previous owner cleaned the wheel with some kind of wheel cleaner which contained some kind of degreaser in it. What happen is the wheels weren't dried n when driven the wheel heats up and the remaining solvent or cleaner left on the wheel where the lip is at has clearcoat. The solvent or cleaner can burn into the clearcoat leaving tiny water spot marks which r not removable by hand or any kind of polisher cream. U need 2 send them out for stripping the clearcoat on the lip and repolishing the lip at a wheel repairing shop. I had that happen 2 me once when I took my previous IS to the dealer 2 have it washed n what they used on the wheels were degreaser which I found out later. I notice the stained lip in a couple of days later. The dealership would not take responsibility for this n I had 2 shell out money to get it refinished. The moral of the story is soap n water only with multi piece wheels with a polished lip. I learned the hard way by being lazy and paid a expensive lesson.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Use Meguiar's NTX All Metal Polysh. The key is to rub longer not harder. Take your time and don't rush. I apply with a terry cloth and remove with yellow flannel. Hopefully that works for you.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so a metal polishing compound will take care of acid stains as well ?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have the same exact problem with my other set of wheels.
The clear coat is damaged, nothing works on it. polish, rubbing compound, whatever.

The only way to fix it is to wet sand it using 1,500 grit. that will take off the clear coat, then you buff it with rubbing compound.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I dunno if I have the same problem I kinda hope not by the sounds of this ... But my polished lip just appears dull. Not white. Haven't tried anything yet as I've been trying to research what to use so I don't waste money tryin to find the right substance and/or ruin the rims using the wrong ones...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts