Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

Does anyone know if it is possible to import a German is200 into the states without having to go through the federalizing process?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I'd want to drive it on the road.

I am going to be an exchange student in Germany for 15 months. While I know cars aren't necessary over there like they are here, I am an American, and I want a set of wheels, but I want a car I can ship back to the states and drive around while I finish my JD.

The problem I am running into is I want a stick. I drive an Auto (Infiniti G25) now, and firmly believe there is a special place in Hell reserved for the marketer who thought of offering the G without a manual option.

While I'm in Europe I've explored my options, I cannot really afford a BMW 1 series, and for non-Turkish people (I'm not Turkish) driving an older E46 3 series really isn't a possibility. Audis are Audies and with age spend more time at the shop and less time on the road. I am prohibited (family thing) from owning a Mercedes, so I can purchase a IS 200 or IS 300, or a super high-milage e91 BMW.

I'd be all for a IS 300, the only problem is someone thought it was a great idea to not offer a manual transmission in the Euro IS300's. Therefore they are all Autos. :-/ The IS-200 is cheap, reliable, ride quality I want, inexpensive to insure, but I want to know if I can ship it back. The 1G-FE was never sold in the states to the best of my knowledge, so that means federalization (~$10k and thus eliminating the car).

Essentially, does anyone have any knowledge, or can point me in the direction of someone who has imported a 1G-FE engine based car into the states, and can drive it on the road?

I'm not interested in doing a VIN swap, as if I am found out, the car gets turned into a coffee table. I've heard of people shipping the car to Mexico and driving it across the boarder, but you get pulled over constantly with Euro plates.

So I'm kinda of in a predicament.

Oh, and when I say cheap --

Gebrauchtwagen: Lexus, IS 200, Benzin, ? 3.880,- AutoScout24 Detailansicht

Gebrauchtwagen: Lexus, IS 200, Leder+Sitzh.+Klimaautomatik, Benzin, ? 3.950,- AutoScout24 Detailansicht

Whereas to get into the cheapest IS300 I can find:

Gebrauchtwagen: Lexus, IS 300, SportCross Winterräder auf Alu, Benzin, ? 6.280,- AutoScout24 Detailansicht

It is almost double the price.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Buy something cheap to beat and save your pennies, the only reason to import is for something euro only and cool, because like you said, it will cost your firstborn child's arm and leg. Spending all that extra $$ just to import a car with less motor than what you can buy here makes no sense. Good luck whatever you do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buy something cheap to beat and save your pennies, the only reason to import is for something euro only and cool, because like you said, it will cost your firstborn child's arm and leg. Spending all that extra $$ just to import a car with less motor than what you can buy here makes no sense. Good luck whatever you do.
Yeah, I think that is the conclusion I'm coming to. Its a shame, as I'm going to have sell this car there, just to by another one here.

Oh well, after 15 months I'll be sick of it anyways.

Thanks! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts