Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just received an e-mail about this event and I guess they are now going to have a summer outdoor event aswell as their indoor event in the fall?!? Importfest

It's supposed to be taking place on May 10th & 11th at the Downsview Park.
Anyone familiar with that park? I'm assuming it's a bit small for a car show...

So anyone planning on going? I'm might, depending on work and stuff.

·
Registered
597 Posts
its a decently sized park and complex, theres a lot of room if they use it all.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Are you talking about competing or just showing up?

A couple of bad things I noticed for competition

1. There does not appear to be any classifications?
If so, this means you will be up against Neon's and Cavaliers

2. Must have 7 of the following list to compete:

MODIFICATION INFO

CUSTOM PAINT
FULL BODY KIT
WHEEL PACKAGE
NEON LIGHTS
ENGINE MODS
SUPERCHARGED / TURBO
ENGINE SWAP
SUSPENSION
HYDRAULICS / AIR RIDE
AUDIO SYSTEM
CUSTOMIZED INTERIOR
AIRBRUSHING
CUSTOM BODY MODS
LIGHTS CONVERSIONS
VINYL GRAPHICS

In the past for Darknights, we have shared the space with Toyotanation, under a group rate.

...but looking at the list above, I do not think many of us can fit any of the 7 choices.

The beautiful part about Darknights was, that even bone stock could compete or just hang out for the day. They classified each showing into divisions...ie (Mild, Wild)and then sub-classified by model or manufacturer.

This does not read this way to me with Importfest.

I will keep my options open and decide when enough people commit to this as a group.

Digger08

Reactions: mikedtrd

·
Registered
923 Posts
Thats a pretty hard requirement to meet. I only have 6 or 7 from the list and some of those I am pushing the definition a bit. It sounds like it is mostly for show cars.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Importfest is only about show cars, or so it has been in the past. To meet 7 of those categories, a car would have to be very highly modified...to the point where it might not look so "clean" , but of course that depends on the car type and the taste of the individual too.

·
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking about entering my car into the show, not for the whole competition thing but since I will probably go regardless, might as well have somewhere to park! :rolleyes:

If I can remember correctly Importfest does have a breakdown like Darknights, only not quite as detailed since it is a smaller show. So I'm guessing an IS300 would just get tossed in a "other Toyota/Lexus class" with the mr2s, supras, and whichever other toyota there is not too many of. But not a big deal since I would mostly just go to hangout and see the show.

And about the 7 requirements, I can name off about 5 but I'm sure I could bs 7, lol. For example, vinyl graphics -> clear bra, neon lights -> halos, light conversions -> foglight HID conversion! ;)
But I'm sure as long as they get the money and you don't enter a stock civic or something you should be okay.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I just received an e-mail about this event and I guess they are now going to have a summer outdoor event aswell as their indoor event in the fall?!? Importfest

It's supposed to be taking place on May 10th & 11th at the Downsview Park.
Anyone familiar with that park? I'm assuming it's a bit small for a car show...

So anyone planning on going? I'm might, depending on work and stuff.
Downsview Park is HUGE!!! It used to be a military base!!! :shocked:

There's more than enough space the hold a car show. I just hope they do a good job of it. Last times I've been to ImportFest shows it was pretty much filled with various ricer cars you could find in that Wendy's/Tim Hortons parking lot in Woodbridge on a Saturday night.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been more noise about this. You'd think they'd be advertising this like crazy. This is a good chance for them to take over the huge hole left by the Darknights folding up shop. But don't they need more lead-in time??? :confused:

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I'm thinking about entering my car into the show, not for the whole competition thing but since I will probably go regardless, might as well have somewhere to park! :rolleyes:

If I can remember correctly Importfest does have a breakdown like Darknights, only not quite as detailed since it is a smaller show. So I'm guessing an IS300 would just get tossed in a "other Toyota/Lexus class" with the mr2s, supras, and whichever other toyota there is not too many of. But not a big deal since I would mostly just go to hangout and see the show.

And about the 7 requirements, I can name off about 5 but I'm sure I could bs 7, lol. For example, vinyl graphics -> clear bra, neon lights -> halos, light conversions -> foglight HID conversion! ;)
But I'm sure as long as they get the money and you don't enter a stock civic or something you should be okay.
Go ahead and enter your car! What do you have to lose anyways? You never know what you might get.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Importfest is only about show cars, or so it has been in the past. To meet 7 of those categories, a car would have to be very highly modified...to the point where it might not look so "clean" , but of course that depends on the car type and the taste of the individual too.
They are not all show cars at Importfest. I know some of the SGR people that are at the show and I know that not all of their cars meet those 7 requirements.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Importfest in my opinion is A LOT better organized than Darknights. They have a well put together team that put together a show that allows for a level playing field, as well as being entertaining.

Darknights on the other hand may have had a bigger team, but they had a lot of "friends of friends" and the lines of communication were so skewed that no one would know who they reported to.

The minimum requirements are there to filter out the stockish cars. It's a carshow, not an autoshow. People are there to see customized cars, not stock cars.

It is true that the requirements are a little too specific, but when you do register they ask for a full mods list as well as pictures. So based on their list you may not qualify, but a well put together package will still be accepted.

Darknights did break down their classes a bit more specifically, specially with Mild/Wild classes. But the thing with that is, the tuner scene in Canada is not big enough to support than kind of break down. What ends up happening is their may be 4 entrants with the same car, 3 of which is Mild and the 1 being Wild; the one person in Wild ends up winning by default.

Also with so many specific classes, there's usually not enough entrants to fill a specific class, not really hard to win a class that you're the only entrant in.

Sure it may be harder to compete, but if and when you do win it just shows you put together a well rounded package.

Here's the class break down, the ones with specific vehicles are their because of the fact that they are popular platforms in the tuning scene.

As for not having a Lexus specific class, when's the last time you've seen a full out show car on the forum or on the streets from the GTA?

Only two pop in my head, TDS_IS and cobramac. They have cars that meet the requirements, since they built their vehicles with the intent to compete in a car show.

Besides that, you have "enthusiasts" who have modded cars but not to the extent of those 2.

If anyone from here does enter, it will most likely be classed under EURO/EXOTIC/LUXURY. I know one of my buddies entered his GS400 into Importfest a couple years back, and he was classed under that group. He actually placed 3rd, competing against a couple Benzes and Porsches.

One more thing, if there is enough people are registered to a show they can and may open up a new class. So if there is serious interest from the forum, then you guys can get in contact with the show organizers and petition for a specific class.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
i'm down to "show" if anyone else is? Must get some things finished although I probably won't stand much of a chance

·
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the great info guys!

Yup I'm definitely down for entering into the show! I should have it ready by then.

·
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So lets try and start a list to see who's all interested...

1) jahnIS300
2) mikedtrd
2)

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I'll only be able to participate in the show if I get all my current projects done by then. If not, I'll still be down to check out the event none the less

·
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I thought I'd bump this thread since the show is this weekend!

I'm not putting my car in this year because I still have some work to do on it and I've been a bit lazy... lol, but I'm going to the show on saturday! :bigSmile:

So it looks like I'll be heading up to toronto friday nite, meeting up with some friends and hitting up a few bars. Then on saturday visit the show!

If anyone is going to the show or bored friday nite let me know! :cool:

Reactions: Crester

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Good job on the bump! You beat me to it.

I hope this show is good... technically it's taking over for the former king of import shows... Darknights. I didn't go to the indoor one last year... but I was deeply sadenned when I saw the high quality of the models there! Made me wish I went for sure.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I might show up Saturday since I'm already up that way. Mike PM me your cell again?

·
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awesome! PM sent.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I might go , i should find out where my rims are at.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts