Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, with the massive amounts of body kits available for the IS (tom's, Cwest, wald, etc), are most of them for the IS200?

and if they are, will that cause any issues when we try to put them on a IS300?

I want a wald kit but not sure if fitment is correct.

·
2,909 Posts
Just go with L-Sportline, then you don't even have to worry about that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
most of the japanese body kits are going to be a little bit different size in the bumper and will probably need to be adjusted somewhat before being added to the car..

there are several domestic kits out now.. check out the carisma.. or the rod millen kits..
http://www.is300forum.com/kits/index.html
pretty complete list of kits with pictures and manufacturer links..

hope this helps..
-tom

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Most of the issues surrounding fit of Japan/Euro spec body kits center around the DOT regulation bumper on the U.S. spec IS 300.

I'm in the same position. I want to install a bumper assembly/chin spoiler and the one I'm looking at is designed for the Euro spec IS 200. There is some modification required to the DOT bumper, but I'm still determining the extent of the mods.

With the shorter bumpers, you may run into appearance problems w/the exhaust tip as well since the tip will protrude further past the rear bumper edge necessitating some mod to the exhaust pipes as well.

Good luck.

[ August 16, 2001: Message edited by: Risk3233 ]

·
Registered
39 Posts
We happen to have a is300 with a japan bumper on it. The modifications are not that drastic. Basically you have to take the center us dot reienforcement and shorten it a little bit and then it will fit. I can be more specific if you would like with photos of the us dot reinforcment part.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Risk I got my C West kit installed and yesterday I had my exhaust shortened just about 2 inches. Everything looks absolutely perfect and all Im saying to all you people out there: If there is an IS200 spec body kit you have your eye on, just go for it. If you are willing to spend a good 600 or 700 on a decent install you'll never know the kit had to be modified. Im sure if you go to a reputable shop they'll do an awesome job!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Darkz,

Congratulations on the install. Now you need to post some pix.

Anyway, I'm not concerned w/modification to the body kit parts. I'm more concerned about mods to the metal structure of the car itself. I don't want to compromise any of the safety or crashworthiness of the car for the sake of installing a body kit.

Call me overly cautious, but I just don't want to go in there and start cutting up and removing metal from the car which acts as its safety feature.

·
2,909 Posts
Originally posted by Risk3233:

Call me overly cautious, but I just don't want to go in there and start cutting up and removing metal from the car which acts as its safety feature.

Although the L-Sportline was my favorite, there were still many kits I wanted. I did not want to remove or modify the bumper for the safety issue. I would love an original look, but my life comes first. Another reason I bought the IS, it's a safe car, to me at least.

You can want a great looking kit no one has but are the chances of airbags malfunctioning or extent of damage to your front end worth the looks?

If the isurance company somehow figured out you altered the US DOT spec reinforcement bar they might not cover your claim due to the alteration. Please consider this before you make that decision.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts