Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A member told me about this remote starter that can be installed into the IS and the remote is integrated into the key. However, like all the remote starters i have seen needs the chip/valet key to be put beside the ignition cylinder.. Does anyone know how safe is that?

I'm just confused because he tells me it's safe, but with a key near the ignition, that means the immobilizer doens't work anymore right?

Well.. Much help is appreciated...

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
MushiSushi said:
A member told me about this remote starter that can be installed into the IS and the remote is integrated into the key. However, like all the remote starters i have seen needs the chip/valet key to be put beside the ignition cylinder.. Does anyone know how safe is that?

I'm just confused because he tells me it's safe, but with a key near the ignition, that means the immobilizer doens't work anymore right?

Well.. Much help is appreciated...
Well its not safe if the installer is mounting a key or key head by the pick up for the system as the system will never operate like it should. Normally a universal transponder module is used and it uses a remote ring so the key or key head can be mounted remotely in a safe position. With this type of system the key only sends signal to the transponder pickup when the remote start is active, thus allowing the factory transponder to work like it is designed. Another option is a keyless module that requires no lose of key to work.

·
8,880 Posts
If you read the sticky, there's useful info there.

The immobilizer has to be disabled at the moment of remote-starting the car. This can be done via 3 ways:

1) Attach valet key to the ignition to that its data is read by immobizer unit every time the car starts. Immobilizer feature is permanently disabled. Be sure to cut off the metal portion of the key, or it will make it very easy to jack the car.

2) Use the same valet key, but with a remote module. Such module would have the key inside and be hidden away. Its trasmitter wire goes around the ignition lock and is only engaged when the remote start is activated.

3) Almost the same as above, except you don't give up a key. Contact Lisnup65 for more details.

On a general note, if properly installed/used remote starters are very safe. It is also recommended to use aftermarket alarm system that has the remote start feature. That will mean giving up the key-fob, which has many disadvantages (read the sticky for details).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts