Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah,
I was completely zoned out while making a right turn...and BOOM!
Rear right wheel hit the curb. I was dreading the park and observe, but to my surprise...not so bad.

There's a 3" scrape on the lip of the rim. Anyone know of a place in TO to fix this?

I searched and found out you can sand/fill/polish, or powdercoat (no thanks!), or replace (Anyone have a spare L-Tuned rim in silver?)

+REP for any help. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Take it to any tire place. I just got my rim back from the shop yesterday. It only cost me $150 to have a crack welded, ding fixed, and baseball sized dent removed, with full paint job.

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
DO not go to precision rim repair , rick is an idiot. He ground my OZ rims down so low to cover his poor welds that they are now destroyed and are no longer fixable.

·
27,116 Posts
DIY might not be so bad. A lot of times curb rash is more in the driver's head than anything else. For example... unless they are really bad... a lot of rashes can't even be seen sometimes unless you get up close and look at them.

If you D-I-Y... just make sure you do it right. A girl at my work painted her rims herself... and they looked really ghetto. The paint she chose was so flat.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called Precision rims...they don't do spot fixes like th DIY article. Instead they only refinish entire wheels.

Prices start at $124/rim

Seems like overkill to me to refinish an entire rim. I'd be happy with the spot fix, if it's gonna look anything like the DIY.

and I agree Crester...it IS in my head. Really, you can't even tell until you're up close. I had trouble finding it when I first looked at it. BUT I KNOW IT"S THERE! hmmm, to DIY or not to.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If its a chorme lip, just polish it...i did one of mine, and they were scratch the fuck up...came out pretty good.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
If you do decide to refinish your wheel, I'd recommend refinishing two and using both of those on the same side of your car. You risk the wheel being slightly off-colour if you only do one.

If the damage isn't that bad, then I'd suggest just leaving it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I had the exact same thing happen to me as the OP.

If the damage isn't that bad, then I'd suggest just leaving it.
Is there a risk/danger of rusting on the OEM rims if you leave it?

I'm planning on getting summer rims and use the OEM strictly for winter. Having said that, I don't want to drive on rusty ass rims all winter long.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I just fixed curb rash very similar to that. It was $40 down here. Just be glad you didin't have wheels that are powercoated and now need to be painted :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts