Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a look at the new Rx-8 that mazda is bringing out for 2004. Its so sick, and the price was stated to be in the low thirties. I might wait a year so the price will go down a bit plus I just got my car like 6 months ago so im not gonna go selling it now. Have any of you guys seen the new RX commin out. I just bought new car mag that had it in there.. :p :p :p I want so bad...

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
I have had my eye on this car for a couple years. It was supposed to be out as a 2003 model but got pushed back to 2004. Very sweet car. 250hp out of a 1.3 liter rotary n/a motor. Revs out to 9 grand (it was supposed to topple the S2000 and wind out to 10 grand, but they bumped it down.) I am gonna keep my IS and get the RX-8 too!

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
IS-300-Rulez said:
i dont understand why it is a 1.3 liter....why so small? :roll:
I think the new is a rotorary motor too. Therefore producing good horsepower for that size. But why N/A instead of twin turbos?? :(

·
Registered
426 Posts
The 3rd gen RX-7 was a 1.3 liter also. You can't compare that to a 1.3 piston engine though as the rotary design is much different. A rotary fires the charge twice before the exhaust gases exit the chamber making it quite a bit more efficient. This is also however, why rotary engines have such high EGT's. It's not uncommon for a rotary to run in the 1800 degree range for EGT. We had one in our shop that you could hold a piece of paper behind the tail pipe at idle and it would catch on fire. We wound up having to wrap the downpipe also because passengers would burn their leg on the center console because it got so hot! Beating a V-8 on the street and then letting him know that you did it with 1.3 liters of displacement is priceless though!! :lol:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Aubie83 said:
I think the new is a rotorary motor too. Therefore producing good horsepower for that size. But why N/A instead of twin turbos?? :(
While the turbos made for very good performance, they were often the demise of the engine also. There is a joke in the 3rd gen RX-7 community that the cars have manufacturer scheduled 60,000 mile motor changes in the manual. The pressure drop across the twins was so high that it caused alot of back pressure forcing the already silly hot exhaust gases back into the combustion chamber. The rotors have seals called apex seals on the corners that would become brittle and fail. Due to many cirumstances, mainly the lack of qualified rotary engine builders, it proves cheaper to replace the engine than to rebuild it. I belive that this is the primary reason that the TT RX-7's were discontinued in the states. People didn't want to spend what it cost to buy the car when the expected life of the engine was so short. IF you can find a good rotary builder that can replace these seals without having to pay to ship your block across the country, the motor is quite stout. Unfortunately for rotary enthusiasts however, this is not always the case.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya, I was talkin with a guy on the street the other day who had a 3rd Rx and he was tellin me how it is a total bitch to get someone who is willing to work on the rotors. He said it took him like a couple a months to find someone who was up to the task. :(

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
i love this car, and i used to thought about changing my is300 too...
until my parents and my girlfriend ask me the same question....

"u own a lexus, and u want to change ur car to a mazda?"

:oops: :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
416 Posts
The styling is a little too progressive for my tastes. The pillarless body will need to be proven from a performance standpoint. The Renesis will probably work fine, like an S2K powerplant with a bit more torque.

Everything will be dependent on how much it ends up weighing.

Production version pics:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
Off-TRAC
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing