Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you need a license plate infront of the car? that shit is ugly.
i cut the thing as skinny as possible and put it on that small grill in the middle. almost like a european plate.

·
Registered
646 Posts
yea it is and ill tell you why. Last week i went to court to pay a small fine for no front lisence plate and had an officer sign my ticket . HAHAH well two mins after that i took the drill out and took my plate back off (since i had to put it on to have the ticket signed off)...Today i got another foking ticket for no front plate :pissed: and they (torrance police dept.) got me for my tint also. Kinda lame huh?! haha and whats funny is after this ticket i still wont keep the plate on just because i cant stand it.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
i never have gotten a ticket

i have a '92 ack legend for 5 yrs and was never pulled over for no front plate, and there are no drill holes in the front bumper so the car has never been ticketed for no front plate
so far i have had the is300 for almost 2 yrs, no front plate and have yet to be pulled over

knock on wood

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
yes, it's illegal not to have a front license plate. but if you ever look around, half the cars in so cal don't have front plates. i guess the PDs are just selective in who they pull over. :-?

OT: BLKIS3, how dark is your tint?

·
Registered
840 Posts
i always take off the front license plate no matter what car. i always tell the cop that i bought the car used and i never got one....anyway i get a fix it ticket, but i just put the plate back on and get it signed off. $10 is a small price to pay anywa considering how often you get a fix it ticket.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
It is a freaking Toyota sedan for chrissake. Just put the plate on and come over from the dark side.

IMO, police stopping me for any reason is reason enough to have the plate on.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
well in MA u can goto the registry and tell them your plate was stolen, and have them print you up something that says that it is valid for 6 months to a year that you dont have it. they order a new one and it comes 3 or 4 months later end of problem
-Eddie

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
CRB said:
It is a freaking Toyota sedan for chrissake. Just put the plate on and come over from the dark side.

IMO, police stopping me for any reason is reason enough to have the plate on.
I agree.
If I'm on the road.. obviously I have somewhere I need to be, and don't need to give the cops a reason to stop me, and waste my time.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
van48 said:
do you need a license plate infront of the car? that sh*t is ugly.
i cut the thing as skinny as possible and put it on that small grill in the middle. almost like a european plate.
:eek:
I hope you know that they can fine you for cutting your plates too. you can't place a decal, you can't write anything on it either. The plates are state property, not yours. They can write you up for vandalizing the plates.
I knew a person who got fined for it, because she places a small decal on the plate. :eek:

G

·
kraze8 said:
van48 said:
do you need a license plate infront of the car? that sh*t is ugly.
:eek:
I hope you know that they can fine you for cutting your plates too. you can't place a decal, you can't write anything on it either. The plates are state property, not yours. They can write you up for vandalizing the plates.
I knew a person who got fined for it, because she places a small decal on the plate. :eek:
well here in TX its required but like you guys said half the cars dont have one, here in houston tho cops get mad if the letters "TEXAS" or "LONE STAR STATE" are covered up by a frame.. besides i still have never seen a corvette with a front plate ever.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
choi0706 said:
well here in TX its required but like you guys said half the cars dont have one, here in houston tho cops get mad if the letters "TEXAS" or "LONE STAR STATE" are covered up by a frame.. besides i still have never seen a corvette with a front plate ever.
me either. as a matter of fact, I have never seen higher-end luxury cars with them. they never get hassled by the cops... :crazy:

·
8,827 Posts
On the "Lone Star" note,
Good thing there is no snow.
Our plates get covered by a thick layer of salt during the snow season.
You can barely see the plate, not just state lettering.

·
Registered
646 Posts
thundercloud080903 said:
yes, it's illegal not to have a front license plate. but if you ever look around, half the cars in so cal don't have front plates. i guess the PDs are just selective in who they pull over. :-?

OT: BLKIS3, how dark is your tint?
i have limo tint all the way around with a sun strip...i think its like 5% or something like that... you cant see in the car at all and looking outside withing the car is a bit difficult but it looks sweet with my black car! :D

and yea when i get my new bumper im just not going to drill the holes and say i never had a front plate....on a side note i have noticed that all the higher end cars dont have a front plate either. My mom bought an E 320 and no holes or anything are in it and so far she hasnt been hasseled. :-?

·
Registered
735 Posts
kraze8 said:
choi0706 said:
me either. as a matter of fact, I have never seen higher-end luxury cars with them. they never get hassled by the cops... :crazy:
a few of my friend in NY with vettes put them on the front but put the corvette cover over top of it. in NY the law never states that they have to be visable only on the front of the car.

and if you cut your plate be prepared to get it confiscated(sp?) and pay a fine. some one else had this happen to them in cali.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
choi0706 said:
that new law here is a joke. talk about a money grab. There's a $200 fine if any part of the state name is obscured by the license plate frame. The frame that westside lexus put on my car marginally covers the top of "texas" on my car and i haven't had a front plate on any car since i've lived here and i've never gotten pulled over for it. If a cop gives me a hard time about the license plate frame, I think that I will politely point out that if he's lived in texas for more than 3 days and he can't discern that my plate is a texas plate despite the top 2 mm of the letters being covered, then his mental capacity is on par with that of bartkat's and aubie's inbred offspring.

G

·
XCstud said:
choi0706 said:
that new law here is a joke. talk about a money grab. There's a $200 fine if any part of the state name is obscured by the license plate frame. The frame that westside lexus put on my car marginally covers the top of "texas" on my car and i haven't had a front plate on any car since i've lived here and i've never gotten pulled over for it. If a cop gives me a hard time about the license plate frame, I think that I will politely point out that if he's lived in texas for more than 3 days and he can't discern that my plate is a texas plate despite the top 2 mm of the letters being covered, then his mental capacity is on par with that of bartkat's and aubie's inbred offspring.

true true i also think that rule is BS

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
XCstud said:
choi0706 said:
same, the westside bracket covers the top part of texas, i have no front plate and if i get hassled on the way back from dallas to houston, im going to politely shove the officers hand into his mouth for being retarded... now if i get pulled over for speeding thats another thing....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.