Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should be my next upgrade and i understand that mods like turbo etc.. will put more stress on the motor. but how would a 75-100 shot be if you do it right and not half-ass...would it effect the engine...i just looking for about scale level of stress that may be put on the motor...

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
the question of how different power adders effect motor longevity and stress has been covered multiple times

in order of most stress to least it would be

nitrous
turbocharger
supercharger

for more details, i would suggest searching previous posts

-gte

Elite_IS3 said:
This should be my next upgrade and i understand that mods like turbo etc.. will put more stress on the motor. but how would a 75-100 shot be if you do it right and not half-ass...would it effect the engine...i just looking for about scale level of stress that may be put on the motor...

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
I know a guy who has blown 2 motors due to nitrous. have fun.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Why do you say a supercharger has less stress than a turbo? It takes more boost to get the same net power and it's not as thermally efficient.

Yes, most supercharger kits are low-boost and the lower boost is less stressful, but not because of supercharger vs. turbo.

I would pick a low-boost turbo setup over nitrous or supercharger anyday.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
i know the guy that has blown 2 motors due to nitrous

SophieSleeps said:
I know a guy who has blown 2 motors due to nitrous. have fun.

·
Registered
79 Posts
IS300GTE said:
the question of how different power adders effect motor longevity and stress has been covered multiple times

nitrous
turbocharger
supercharger

-gte
That list is backwards...

Nitrous adds oxygen along with nitrogen (helps stablize combustion) that is lower than the ambient air temperature which makes it safer than any other form of forced induction.

A turbocharger increases backpressure and impedes the flow of exhaust gasses thus causing the engine to work a bit harder to get the exhaust gas out of the exhaust system.

A supercharger uses the most energy since it doesn't use any form of wasted energy. It is a parasitic load on the engine but it makes up for it by providing denser air to the engine.

Therefore the SC engine has the greatest amount of stress and nitrous has the least. People get over zealous with nitrous and give it a bad name, all 3 methods do the same thing, force more air into the engine. Nitrous just happens to be the coldest of the 3 and has added nitrogen to allow for a more stabilized combustion.

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
Conrad_Turbo said:
IS300GTE said:

nitrous
turbocharger
supercharger

-gte

Nitrous adds oxygen along with nitrogen (helps stablize combustion) that is lower than the ambient air temperature which makes it safer than any other form of forced induction.

A turbocharger increases backpressure and impedes the flow of exhaust gasses thus causing the engine to work a bit harder to get the exhaust gas out of the exhaust system.

A supercharger uses the most energy since it doesn't use any form of wasted energy. It is a parasitic load on the engine but it makes up for it by providing denser air to the engine.

Therefore the SC engine has the greatest amount of stress and nitrous has the least. People get over zealous with nitrous and give it a bad name, all 3 methods do the same thing, force more air into the engine. Nitrous just happens to be the coldest of the 3 and has added nitrogen to allow for a more stabilized combustion.
Ill agree w/ both of you that on the effects of nitrous. It can be really good if used respoisiby, but could be a motor if your spray happy.

Oh and the Nitrogen in N2O is not the cooling kind, that would be Liquid Nitrogen, not the gas.

·
Registered
79 Posts
CharlieD06 said:
Oh and the Nitrogen in N2O is not the cooling kind, that would be Liquid Nitrogen, not the gas.
Obviously you have never felt how cold nitrous is when it comes out of the nozzle. The nitrous is compressed to a very high pressure in the canister when it is released into the atmosphere it expands and becomes a very cold gas.

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
Conrad_Turbo said:
CharlieD06 said:
Obviously you have never felt how cold nitrous is when it comes out of the nozzle. The nitrous is compressed to a very high pressure in the canister when it is released into the atmosphere it expands and becomes a very cold gas.
Obviously I dont care for nitrous.

And compression would heat a gas up.
Gotta love Chemistry

·
Registered
903 Posts
no compression doesn't heat a gas up, thats why its a LIQUID whn compressed high enough. liquid is cooler than gas...

·
Rollin Boosted
2,293 Posts
hehe :lol:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Paki_Sleepa said:
no compression doesn't heat a gas up, thats why its a LIQUID whn compressed high enough. liquid is cooler than gas...
Did you fail chemstry class?

Compressing a gas into a liquid (filling a nitrous canister) heats it up, PERIOD. It then cools to the surrounding temperature, then the expansion of a liquid to a gas (when it leaves the tank) ends up being cooler than the surrounding atmosphere. Basic stuff man...

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Paki_Sleepa said:
:lol:

Wow. Someone failed chemistry :wink:

If you have a few minutes, check out Boyle's law- the infamous P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2, etc. etc. I think www.howstuffworks.com would probably have a basic section on thermodynamics and gas laws? Or just search on google for "thermodynamics" or "Boyle's law." Check it out. Good reading.

-C

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
this thread gives me gas.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
don't EVER correct me unless you know what you are talking about

the torque curve of nitrous is the most aggressive, most dramatically changing and most stress added to the engine. it accelerates the quickest (in respect to change in rate of acceleration) with nitrous, multiply that by the mass (which is a constant in the comparison) and you have the greatest amount of force at that given period

a turbocharger has the second greatest rate of change in torque and acceleration

a supercharger, even if centrifugal, has the third and slowest rate of change

do you want to know what kills an engine, cylinder pressure, and nitrous also has the highest rate of change in that as well.

to reinforce this and put this in perspective, if you were autocrossing, would you spray nitrous out of the apex of a turn, use a turbocharged car, or a supercharged car. which do you think would be more predictable and easier to control. after you figure that out, think to yourself as to why

nitrous has less nitrogen then the standard air that we breathe, what do you think that they remove when compounding nitrous? do you even know how nitrous works, chemically speaking?

by rereading your post, i think that you may have categorized your list in which is most to least efficient (which had nothing to do with my post or the subject). if so, your list is correct, just not needed in this post

-gte

Conrad_Turbo said:
IS300GTE said:

nitrous
turbocharger
supercharger

-gte

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
IS300GTE said:
don't EVER correct me unless you know what you are talking about
FEAR ME, PITIFUL CREATURES OF GO FAST :pissed:

:lol:

Good school session, GTE 8)

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
when you compress a liquid, you get soup. Idiots.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts