Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Today I was trying to start my car but when I place my key in ignition lock I can not turn it. it feels like I using key from some other car, have no movement at all but I can put it in and take it out no problem. Before lock was perfect, nice and smooth... Please help... My car is IS300 2001 automatic. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
There is a TSB on this. I think you will have to make a trip to the dealer for repair.

ELECTRICAL
EL005-03

May 23, 2003
Title:
IMPROVEMENT TO IGNITION CYLINDER PERFORMANCE

Models:
'01 IS 300, LX 470 & RX 300

Introduction

Some customers may complain of not being able to turn their ignition key inside the ignition cylinder. If this condition is found on one of the models listed below, built before the starting VIN list, it is important to not "re-key" the new ignition cylinder to the customer's original key. Use the NEW key accompanying the new ignition cylinder. For customer satisfaction, Lexus recommends the entire key set be replaced as a repair for this condition.
Applicable Vehicles
^ 2001 model year IS 300, LX 470, and RX 300 vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.

Digger08

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much will it cost me???

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Depends on your negotiation skills - Make sure you use the words "goodwill" a lot in the converstaion. They may cover your issue entirely.

Digger08

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Moving the wheel doesn't help at all. I think my lock is gone..:((( I'll try to go to dealership today and see what they can do... Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Well there have been a few incidents in my past where my ignition wouldn't even budge . It would only happen when the wheel was not straight b4 i turned off the car , so my solution was to turn the wheel either way a tad bit n turn the key which worked. But i'm sorry i could not be of any help :(

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
1. spray some wd40 or similar lube in ignition
2. take a hammer and punch, give the ignition a few good whacks, with the punch right on the metal part where it says "lock/acc/on/start"
3. now try your key.
4. drive to the dealer and get a new lock assembly ordered, save the tow bill money for beer.

no im not joking about the hammer thing. it works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts