Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Virgin Magnet
Joined
·
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title states i am looking into ignitions

from what i understand the AEM is more powerful allowing a higher plug gap and smoother idling better cold startup yada yada but the downside is whicked install (and its on sale at HPfreaks.com)

the hks is less powerful than the aem (not saying its not powerful enough) but way easier to install.

i am a stock compression boosty and hope(i know i'm weird) to stay that way.


i don't really care about wiring, it doesn't scare me that much but i don't want to dive into something i don't have to.

any help / input
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
I like to know as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,573 Posts
Last I heard aem is halting those ignition boxes due to very high failure rate, so the ever popular hks dli is the way to go it seems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,237 Posts
Never heard any such thing. You are trying to compare a true CDI iginition to an ignition booster... no comparrison. AEM CDI all the way.. I ve used both. HKS did nothing for my ignition and cost me 400 bucks.. the AEM, while much more difficult to connect as compared the the HKS booster, AEM fixed my ignition wooows...

CDI box is a tru capacitvie discharge ingnition device. It boosts coil primary voltage and significantly increases current. The DLI is more of a gimmiki kinda"rapid fire" ingiiton..they try to make your plugs fire multiple times during the igniiton cycle... Might be a cure fo small fixes.. but not for high HP boosted cars.. either way Id still use the CDI by AEM any day of the week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,237 Posts
LexISpooled said:
Last I heard aem is halting those ignition boxes due to very high failure rate, so the ever popular hks dli is the way to go it seems.

Not Quite.... other way around...DLI is useless....Kinda like splifires...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,573 Posts
Myis300t said:
Not Quite.... other way around...DLI is useless....Kinda like splifires...
taken from sf.com, posted last month


Originally Posted by Sean McElderry (from hpf.com)
"The HKS DLI is still a more reliable solution for Supras. It works every time...never any issues. The CDI box is pulled until further notice...but if you're looking for warranties, you're best to talk to your dealer and they can work with AEM to get you an RGA"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
We love AEM EMS but when it comes to the CDI it's sucks! HKS DLI work like a charm. Our supra was breaking up at 4500rpm, installed the DLI. Problem is gone. Don't get me started with AEM Eugo
JP Importz
 

·
Virgin Magnet
Joined
·
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JPI said:
We love AEM EMS but when it comes to the CDI it's sucks! HKS DLI work like a charm. Our supra was breaking up at 4500rpm, installed the DLI. Problem is gone. Don't get me started with AEM Eugo
JP Importz

for threads sake i am curious as too what AEM has done to you for you to feel this way and because i am interested. - i was already leaning towards the HKS - a supra guy told me to go that route earlier instead of the aem.

in my personal experiences i have ended up not really caring for aem that much myself - but i figured it might have changed in 4 years
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,237 Posts
JPI said:
We love AEM EMS but when it comes to the CDI it's sucks! HKS DLI work like a charm. Our supra was breaking up at 4500rpm, installed the DLI. Problem is gone. Don't get me started with AEM Eugo
JP Importz

One problem here.. the supra does not use wasted spark as the IS does. The IS is a waste spark setup, only 3 coil packs. Whereas the supra has one coilpack per cylinder=6. Which Im sure you are aware. Therefore, the HKS DLI is less effective on the IS. The AEM CDI both theoretically and in the real world, prduces a hotter spark when it is compared to the DLI, for the IS300. Compare apples to apples...
 

·
Mr. Negative
Joined
·
12,388 Posts
revhard said:
The AEM CDI has had several problems, They have even recalled some units.
many members have had bad MSD's as well. I thought the CDI issues were old ones though. I guess it's a ongoing thing? I haven't ventured into the AEM forums in a while so i haven't seen any of the complaints as of late.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,661 Posts
IS_Dude said:
many members have had bad MSD's as well. I thought the CDI issues were old ones though. I guess it's a ongoing thing? I haven't ventured into the AEM forums in a while so i haven't seen any of the complaints as of late.
true, I heard of AEM units with "melting" issues.... :jawDrop:
 

·
Mr. Negative
Joined
·
12,388 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
true, I heard of AEM units with "melting" issues.... :jawDrop:
heard? any confirmation? hearsay sucks. pics, posts, threads?
 

·
Virgin Magnet
Joined
·
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes i am hearing a lot of i hear and they say

"experts" have recommended both to me and basiclaly said its up to me from here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,661 Posts
IS_Dude said:
heard? any confirmation? hearsay sucks. pics, posts, threads?
Lance was telling me how someone had theirs melt on a Supra he worked on...he showed me the box when I was last there back in January
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Myis300t said:
One problem here.. the supra does not use wasted spark as the IS does. The IS is a waste spark setup, only 3 coil packs. Whereas the supra has one coilpack per cylinder=6. Which Im sure you are aware. Therefore, the HKS DLI is less effective on the IS. The AEM CDI both theoretically and in the real world, prduces a hotter spark when it is compared to the DLI, for the IS300. Compare apples to apples...
what is the model number for the AEM CDI? is it this the same thing
Aem c2di Ignition?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
IS_Dude said:
heard? any confirmation? hearsay sucks. pics, posts, threads?

yeah... mine worked for about 3 hours untill it shorted out internally. it would blow the main power fuse everytime i put a new one in. i check continuity from the power wire to ground and there was no resistance. i shipped it back to AEM and they said they will get me a new one as soon as they finish ironing out the wrinkles. they also mention that lots of them were doing the same thing. ETA: 1-2 months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
To find out more about the CDI please go to aempower.com and see it for yourself. I'm a AEM dealer so I wouldn't want to say much. We installed many HKS DLI, never never have a problem.
JP Importz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
What about the MSD units ? Are they any good ?
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top