Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on ordering some Iforged Senekas. I would like to get the polished finish, but should i get the clearcoat? if so should it be on the outer rim or just the center? How hard is it to keep a polished wheel looking good?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,744 Posts
Keeping a polish rim shiny and looking new requires aluminum polish and a lot of towels, patience helps as well. It takes me about 30 minutes to polish just 1 rim, getting around the rivets is a pain in the @ss.

iForged is notorious for having painting problems and uneven clear coats. Without the clear coat, your rim is more easily scratched. But one advantage of not having the clear coat is not having to get the paint stripped off when you're refinishing the rim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lambchop11078 said:
Keeping a polish rim shiny and looking new requires aluminum polish and a lot of towels, patience helps as well. It takes me about 30 minutes to polish just 1 rim, getting around the rivets is a pain in the @ss.

iForged is notorious for having painting problems and uneven clear coats. Without the clear coat, your rim is more easily scratched. But one advantage of not having the clear coat is not having to get the paint stripped off when you're refinishing the rim.
So would you receommend just getting the whole wheel polished with no clearcoat for a daily driver?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,744 Posts
LexusinSac said:
lambchop11078 said:
Keeping a polish rim shiny and looking new requires aluminum polish and a lot of towels, patience helps as well. It takes me about 30 minutes to polish just 1 rim, getting around the rivets is a pain in the @ss.

iForged is notorious for having painting problems and uneven clear coats. Without the clear coat, your rim is more easily scratched. But one advantage of not having the clear coat is not having to get the paint stripped off when you're refinishing the rim.
So would you receommend just getting the whole wheel polished with no clearcoat for a daily driver?
Honestly...

Hard to say which one to get. iForged is notorious for paint problems, you might not like how the clear coat may look since there's a good chance it will be uneven.

My IS is my daily driver and the iForged are on it during the spring till late fall. My rims have a lot of fine scratches all over it, polishing the rims will help hide it. If I bring my rims to a rim shop and have them polish it with a buffing wheel, the scratches will be non-existent buf if I had a clear coat on it, those fine scratches wouldn't be there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,577 Posts
Thats why I chose chrome. Its super easy to maintain and the finish is very durable if done right.

Why dont you have your iForged wheels sent to you in an unfinished state, and ship them off to someone like Goodrich [link] for a coat of chrome-like finish...or black chrome

Soap and water and your wheels are as shiny as the day you bought em
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,747 Posts
I don't like chrome because if you gouge or scratch it, you're pretty much screwed. It has to be stripped and then redipped. My suggestion would be to get the lip polished and not cleared, and get the center in the satin finish. Having a polished mesh style wheel is a nightmare. I have HRE 540's and keeping the spokes polished suks big time. The best bet is to get the centers powder coated a gloss silver, but that's my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,577 Posts
I think a quality chrome finish is very durable. Gouging or scratching a chrome surface sounds like its might be easy, but it isnt. It would take an extreme situation.

I live in cali, so the conditions as far as weather arent that bad. But the road conditions are definitely not the greatest. Contruction and loose rocks are everywhere. The chrome on the face of my wheels has held up 100%. I cant say that for the lips, which are polished. I've accidently banged the face of my wheel(s) with tools a handful of times, without leaving a single mark.

Thats just my experience and take on the issue, and why I'd recommend quality chrome over polish. Plus it looks better. But your points or 100% valid. If something was to occur and the finish was damaged...the only solution I know if having the whole wheel redone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear that if you chrome plate a forged wheel it becomes brittle. Is that true?

If i order from Iforged is it possible to get the wheels unfinished or will they require them to be shipped with a finish?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,577 Posts
LexusinSac said:
(1) I hear that if you chrome plate a forged wheel it becomes brittle. Is that true?

(2) If i order from Iforged is it possible to get the wheels unfinished or will they require them to be shipped with a finish?
(1) That I have not heard. Goodrich Tech is not actual chrome, so your concerns might not apply here.

(2) That I do not know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mr who said:
Thats why I chose chrome. Its super easy to maintain and the finish is very durable if done right.

Why dont you have your iForged wheels sent to you in an unfinished state, and ship them off to someone like Goodrich [link] for a coat of chrome-like finish...or black chrome

Soap and water and your wheels are as shiny as the day you bought em
Iforged wont send a wheel in an unfinished state. Spoke to Steve over there.

Chrome is nice , i had some 20" Rezax on my GS.

Does anyone know of any other wheels that are similar to Rezax and Senekas?
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top