Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, lets play what-if. Lets suppose that the IS, as great as it is, had hit the road running with all the issues addressed straight from the factory. Suppose for a moment it had a real armrest, full leather, VSC, NAV, manual tranny, 27+mpg rating, body-colored tail lights, and less road noise. Suppose the pricetag was $37,000 or less. Now, assuming they had shipped it here from the factory that way, do you think it would have completely killed the 3 series and A4?
Do you think it would be considered the perfect small sport sedan?

Justy
99 328i (for now)
01 IS300

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I totally agree with everything you said. I think the IS is an awesome car, especially considering this is new territory for Lexus. I guess the point of my what-if question is if Lexus were to address the minor gripes of the automotive press and enthusiasts, would it have been better received. I guess you cant please everyone though

Originally posted by 4yoazz:
I don't think it would have killed the 3 series or the A4 but I don't think the reason it hasn't is because of the reasons you listed. I can see the manual, the armrest, full leather and maybe even woodgrain but not the nav system, road noise and body colored tail lights. The IS's main problem seems to be the 0-60 time from what I've read from critics. If they can up the horses and get the manual consistently around 6.1 - 6.2 0-60 then it'll be there. The key to beating the BMW is catching it in performance while keeping the price at least 3-4K less. If they're the same price the BMW name carries more weight and prestige so you lose. You have to figure, the IS looks good as hell, handles good, it's fun to drive, it's different and 6.1 will quiet all the critics for all out acceleration. I say this because realistically how many of the manual BMW's and A4's have Nav systems? As far as the tail lights, I don't think that will make many people shy away from it if the speed is there. And with the road noise it's still one of the quietest vehicles on the market. It's more quiet than even the CL-S and I believe both of the other two also. Let me know what you think.

------------------
Justy
99 328i (for now)
01 IS300

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.