Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, lets play what-if. Lets suppose that the IS, as great as it is, had hit the road running with all the issues addressed straight from the factory. Suppose for a moment it had a real armrest, full leather, VSC, NAV, manual tranny, 27+mpg rating, body-colored tail lights, and less road noise. Suppose the pricetag was $37,000 or less. Now, assuming they had shipped it here from the factory that way, do you think it would have completely killed the 3 series and A4?
Do you think it would be considered the perfect small sport sedan?

Justy
99 328i (for now)
01 IS300

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
good question, i dont' really know what would happen and i have no idea, becasue it would probably be a pretty close thing...but it will be interesting to see what other people on this board think. =)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Put the 5 or 6 speed in the IS and that's all u need to be competitive with the other BMW and Audi's on the road, IMO.
Ed

------------------
1999 TL Non/Nav, Satin Silver/Ebony, Comptech Springs,Comptech Exhaust, Inspire tails, Air filter, Guy Smiley as my Co-driver...many many more..
1999 Miata Touring, RB springs, Koni adjustables, RB intake, RB roll bar, BBS RV 16x7 on 225/40/16 Sp9000's, Kickin' sound system, soon to have headers and BSP dual exhaust..Click here to see

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hmm, I don't think it would have killed the competition, but it definitely would make the competition more fierce. I was considering the IS300 and took a look at one at the dealership but it was too small, didn't like the leather, and didn't come in a manual. But I was seriously considering it nonetheless. I got the S4 (picked it up last Thursday!) instead. My friend is considering the IS300 w/ manual next year. She has good taste!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don't think it would have killed the 3 series or the A4 but I don't think the reason it hasn't is because of the reasons you listed. I can see the manual, the armrest, full leather and maybe even woodgrain but not the nav system, road noise and body colored tail lights. The IS's main problem seems to be the 0-60 time from what I've read from critics. If they can up the horses and get the manual consistently around 6.1 - 6.2 0-60 then it'll be there. The key to beating the BMW is catching it in performance while keeping the price at least 3-4K less. If they're the same price the BMW name carries more weight and prestige so you lose. You have to figure, the IS looks good as hell, handles good, it's fun to drive, it's different and 6.1 will quiet all the critics for all out acceleration. I say this because realistically how many of the manual BMW's and A4's have Nav systems? As far as the tail lights, I don't think that will make many people shy away from it if the speed is there. And with the road noise it's still one of the quietest vehicles on the market. It's more quiet than even the CL-S and I believe both of the other two also. Let me know what you think.

------------------

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I totally agree with everything you said. I think the IS is an awesome car, especially considering this is new territory for Lexus. I guess the point of my what-if question is if Lexus were to address the minor gripes of the automotive press and enthusiasts, would it have been better received. I guess you cant please everyone though

Originally posted by 4yoazz:
I don't think it would have killed the 3 series or the A4 but I don't think the reason it hasn't is because of the reasons you listed. I can see the manual, the armrest, full leather and maybe even woodgrain but not the nav system, road noise and body colored tail lights. The IS's main problem seems to be the 0-60 time from what I've read from critics. If they can up the horses and get the manual consistently around 6.1 - 6.2 0-60 then it'll be there. The key to beating the BMW is catching it in performance while keeping the price at least 3-4K less. If they're the same price the BMW name carries more weight and prestige so you lose. You have to figure, the IS looks good as hell, handles good, it's fun to drive, it's different and 6.1 will quiet all the critics for all out acceleration. I say this because realistically how many of the manual BMW's and A4's have Nav systems? As far as the tail lights, I don't think that will make many people shy away from it if the speed is there. And with the road noise it's still one of the quietest vehicles on the market. It's more quiet than even the CL-S and I believe both of the other two also. Let me know what you think.

------------------
Justy
99 328i (for now)
01 IS300

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Motortrend and other magazines would still have bitched about it. Nitpicking something- maybe saying that they are dissapointed because it didn't come in two doors.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I agree with you and ISsoon because like he said you can't please everyone and that's why you'll never see the perfect car. Motor trend, car and driver and the others won't even give their beloved 3 series that kind of review. Why? Because then if it ain't broke, don't fix it becomes a part of their mentality an then all innovation would go out of the window. There's no car that will ever be made that the mags would give the nod to over the 3 series. Think about it. What other car could go this many years without changing the same basic design of its interior from small car all the way up to its luxury SUV and still win in comparisons to others besides than BMW? If the IS or any other car in this category would have covered every imaginable gripe, their argument still would have been the 3 series has near perfect 50/50 weight distribution so it handles better so somehow it still would come out on top.
Originally posted by PMD911:
Motortrend and other magazines would still have bitched about it. Nitpicking something- maybe saying that they are dissapointed because it didn't come in two doors.

------------------

·
Registered
447 Posts
i think it would be good competition with the 3 series and a4..... but all i know is when i race stock isn't even good enuff for stock maxima SE... and msrp for a IS is final cost for a 2000 SE all fixed up....(my bro-in-law has one).... food for thought for all non-IS members here

·
Registered
201 Posts
Question. Does your bro-in-law have an auto?
Originally posted by ICE300:
i think it would be good competition with the 3 series and a4..... but all i know is when i race stock isn't even good enuff for stock maxima SE... and msrp for a IS is final cost for a 2000 SE all fixed up....(my bro-in-law has one).... food for thought for all non-IS members here

------------------

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD><FONT SIZE=-1>
has one).... food for thought for all non-IS members here
</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Funny. I remember this thread back before I was an IS owner. How time flies.

If I was shopping for FWD, the Max would have been a nice choice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts