Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always have this question in mind:

If you're making $72k, what car are you able to afford?

I have my 02 IS for over 1 yr now. Like a lot of regular folks, my parents and I are not rich. If you're making $72k (not alot compare to some of you big shot), what'd you buy?

Have fun discussing :roll:

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
masayako said:

I have my 02 IS for over 1 yr now. Like a lot of regular folks, my parents and I are not rich. If you're making $72k (not alot compare to some of you big shot), what'd you buy?

live within your means, keep the IS300.

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
How about do some investing, or buy a house.

Or - stop the presses - save some of it?

You guys better start saving - to keep your lifestyle up you are going to need a hell of a lot of cash.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
my parents put together make $70k...not including stocks but still...stock market is in shits right now anyways...

if you manage your funds and keep your priorities straight you can afford almost any car you want.

·
Registered
375 Posts
masayako said:

I don't know what you're talking about but I make 6 figures and the IS is right in my budget. Start saving for retirement kiddo and max out your retirement options. There will be no free lunch from the government when your time comes.

·
Registered
660 Posts
is300insf said:
masayako said:

I don't know what you're talking about but I make 6 figures and the IS is right in my budget. Start saving for retirement kiddo and max out your retirement options. There will be no free lunch from the government when your time comes.
good call... u can retire a millionaire if you never make more than $40k in your life. some people just don't understand the importance of starting to save EARLY in their lives... like 20, 21, 22 years old. get money to work for you at a young age. like has already been stated, live within your means and max out all retirement options, IRAs, 401(k), etc. It's hard to save now for something so far away but when you can have a nice life after retirement, you'll look back and be glad you didn't splurge on a m5. just a little food for thought

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
I drive an IS300...

On an annual salary of 72k a year, lets figure 25-30% in taxes (depends where you live), 10% into some sort of company stock purchase, 10% into 401k, and 5% into personal IRA's. When its all said and done, you will actually see 36k a year in actually pay. Thats 3k a month to live on. While that may sound like a lot, lets assume you have a house payment of $1500 a month. A car payment of $500, and living expenses of $1000 (food, entertainment, utilities, gas, insurance, etc. etc.).

You just spent your 72k a year salary. Now thats called real life.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Eventually you will come to realize that having toys and nothing more is just that -- toys and nothing more. Who cares about a car, really? I could afford triple my car payment, but for what? To drive around in an expensive, daily-driven depreciating asset? I don't think so.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts