Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi mrclam.. i got a little question, there is a used 1997 sky blue m3 with 27000 miles on it asking for 50000 canadian. do you think its worth it? and since i am still learning how to drive a manual car, i have heard from my friends that M3 lets you to do both auto and manual transmission. is it true?

·
Registered
257 Posts
completely different era, completely different managment, completely different construction process. Completely different world. Not fuel injected. Low-reving engine. Fewer and simpler mechanical parts. Not bagging on your M3 nor BMW mrclam BUT its unrealistic and to talk about a car from 17 years-ago as being representive of today's quality (they were good cars...my dad had a 1980 320iS...very rare care...i think a progenitor to the current M3 - not sure though). More applicable? Show me a 92 BMW 5 series with 325K and that would be a more true statement of what today's BMW is about. I could show you a couple 90-93 integra's with 300k. IMO, M3's have a better rep for quality than the rest of the 3-series line SO you made the best choice with yer M3.
Just my .02

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i agree but everyone on this site(well nto everyone buta lot of people) are always bitching aboutreliability like bmw doesn't have any.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Mrclam, BMW has the reliability, but it's not as good as those japanese car makers'. Ain't no doubt about that. Do you think any bimmer can survive longer than civic can? I don't think so, man.

------------------
K.P.

·
8,107 Posts
I've never seen a Honda with 200,000 miles, but BMWs are pretty common - those cars are built to last, just require more regular maintenance than Hondas. Hondas are bullet-proof til about 120,000 miles, then everything except engine needs to be replaced. By 200,000, Hondas are ****, junkers. For example, a BMW w/ 200,000 miles can sell for $4000, a Honda with 200,000 miles goes for about $200.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well that's not exactly true. I still see a lot of old Honda accords (the first ones ever made probably) still floating around with over 200,000 miles on them as some kids first car. Yeah the BMW still sales for $4,000 but $3800 of that is just for the name recognition, not vehicle reliability. Then you'll match or exceed what you paid for it in repairs the first year.

------------------

·
Registered
100 Posts
My dad had a 1980 Accord that he sold with 96,000mi with no major problems. He also had an 1989 Acura Legend that he sold with 135,000mi to our neighbor. That car now has over 250,000mi with no major repairs.

My dad's current car, a '95 525i now has 120,000mi with no major repairs, but lots of little annoying ones.

I sold my '93 525i with 96,000mi and I spent close to $5,000 in a little less than two years keeping the car running. The engine and transmission were okay, but a lot of electrical stuff broke and it really adds up quickly. The most annoying problem was the DME (ECU) went out and I had to wait a couple of weeks just for the part to come in.

YMMV

Jeff

Originally posted by 4yoazz:
Well that's not exactly true. I still see a lot of old Honda accords (the first ones ever made probably) still floating around with over 200,000 miles on them as some kids first car. Yeah the BMW still sales for $4,000 but $3800 of that is just for the name recognition, not vehicle reliability. Then you'll match or exceed what you paid for it in repairs the first year.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Taylor (edited December 20, 2000).]

·
Registered
685 Posts
My uncle has 88 integra with 160k miles on it. It still runs great. My mom once had accord for about 6 yrs. with 100k miles on it, and it had no probs. My friend's dad's 7series is about 3 yrs. old, and it has transmission problem, so he's gonna sell it and will never buy bimmer again. One of my friends has 3-4 yrs. old 328 conv. and its engine makes weird sound when it's stopped at the stoplights. And if you look at the used cars guide, guess what? Hondas, Toyotas, Acuras, Lexuses, Nissans have higher reliability points than BMW. I'm not saying that BMW it not reliable, but it is not as reliable as Japanese import cars.

------------------
K.P.

[This message has been edited by Rookie84 (edited December 20, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rookie84 (edited December 20, 2000).]

·
Registered
87 Posts
ckolsen,

My 88 prelude si has 187k miles and runs smoothly. I've had to replace a radiator fan $130 and of course brake pads. It is a very reliable car. I don't have a lot of cash (just graduated Saturday, so that is about to change) so I dont really don't maintain my car like i should.

I would suggest you check the classifieds of a major newspaper of major city. You will see plenty of Hondas with over 225k.

As a side note--
My mother had a 87 BMW 733i. It blew its transmission in '94.

Of course I wouldn't make generalizations based on the comparisons of 2 cars, but it is common knowledge that BMWs aren't the most reliable cars out there. Whats worse is that college students with civics (that have lil $ for upkeep and maintanance) can keep their cars longer than BMW afficiandos that baby their cars.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 3 and 5series, as well as the M cars. I would love to have the M3, but I'm looking at the is300 due to its exclusivity, expected reliability, and edginess.

·
8,107 Posts
It's funny, people always say their Hondas have no problems at 100k miles, then you ask them, did you replace the exhaust? They say "oh yeah, at 80k." But they don't consider that a problem. My family's two Hondas both had exhausts replaced before 100k. But people complain about a $10 electrical part if it's a BMW. A couple of caveats for BMW buyers, don't buy '92 3 or 5 series, don't buy any 7 series. And don't lump in Subaru, Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Isuzu, or Suzuki in w/ Honda & Toyota, they all have bad reliability, look at JD Power Reliability posted here recently, BMW beat them all. Just cause it's "Japanese" doesn't mean it's reliable.

Originally posted by Rookie84:
My uncle has 88 integra with 160k miles on it. It still runs great. My mom once had accord for about 6 yrs. with 100k miles on it, and it had no probs. My friend's dad's 7series is about 3 yrs. old, and it has transmission problem, so he's gonna sell it and will never buy bimmer again. One of my friends has 3-4 yrs. old 328 conv. and its engine makes weird sound when it's stopped at the stoplights. And if you look at the used cars guide, guess what? Hondas, Toyotas, Acuras, Lexuses, Nissans have higher reliability points than BMW. I'm not saying that BMW it not reliable, but it is not as reliable as Japanese import cars.

·
8,107 Posts
It's a good thing that Consumer Reports and JD Power survey more than 2 cars when they issue their reliability reports. If you want, I can drag in here hundreds of GM owners who will testify that they've driven their cars 200,000 miles with no problems, and they'll be telling the truth. Does that mean GM cars are reliable? Anecdotal evidence is basically useless for a reliability discussion.

Originally posted by lyndon_h:
ckolsen,

My 88 prelude si has 187k miles and runs smoothly. I've had to replace a radiator fan $130 and of course brake pads. It is a very reliable car. I don't have a lot of cash (just graduated Saturday, so that is about to change) so I dont really don't maintain my car like i should.

I would suggest you check the classifieds of a major newspaper of major city. You will see plenty of Hondas with over 225k.

As a side note--
My mother had a 87 BMW 733i. It blew its transmission in '94.

Of course I wouldn't make generalizations based on the comparisons of 2 cars, but it is common knowledge that BMWs aren't the most reliable cars out there. Whats worse is that college students with civics (that have lil $ for upkeep and maintanance) can keep their cars longer than BMW afficiandos that baby their cars.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 3 and 5series, as well as the M cars. I would love to have the M3, but I'm looking at the is300 due to its exclusivity, expected reliability, and edginess.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hey, I never mentioned Isuzu, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki, man. Thier cars are not that great. BMW really SHOULD have better reliabilities because their are MORE EXPANSIVE. If they want to sell expansive cars, then it should have less problems in both electrics and engines than hondas. But I don't see as many BMW lasts until 200k miles as Hondas or Toyotas, man. Admit it. It's true. Also I never talked about 92 3 series. my friend's was 96. Also 7 series really should be as realiable as other models because it's more expansive. And if bimmers are more reliable than Hondas or Toyotas, than why their values drops fater than them? Resale value says it all, my man.

Originally posted by ckolsen:
It's funny, people always say their Hondas have no problems at 100k miles, then you ask them, did you replace the exhaust? They say "oh yeah, at 80k." But they don't consider that a problem. My family's two Hondas both had exhausts replaced before 100k. But people complain about a $10 electrical part if it's a BMW. A couple of caveats for BMW buyers, don't buy '92 3 or 5 series, don't buy any 7 series. And don't lump in Subaru, Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Isuzu, or Suzuki in w/ Honda & Toyota, they all have bad reliability, look at JD Power Reliability posted here recently, BMW beat them all. Just cause it's "Japanese" doesn't mean it's reliable.

------------------
K.P.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is so much computerization in ALL new cars that reliability is a relative term. I had a 1974 BMW Bavaria. What a great car. I sold it after 10 years with 102K miles for $6,000. It is still running today and belongs to a friend of mine in NJ. Problem: 2 Zenith 2 barrel carbs that required constant attention! '75 went to fuel injection. Mileage went to hell! No car is perfect. A few approach perfection but they are out of my price range. Happy motoring!

·
8,107 Posts
All cars are getting more 'expansive' as Americans get fatter. I was responding to the "BMW not as reliable as Japanese imports", and last time I checked, Isuzu, Mitsubishi and Suzuki are Japanese. I never said BMW was as reliable or 'more reliable' than Honda or Toyota, you read as well as you spell. As for the expensive cars, as long as people happily cough up big cash for BMWs, they don't have to change the way they do business. Resale is very high on BMW 3 and 5 series, just 7 series sucks, but only fools buy them anyway.

Originally posted by Rookie84:
Hey, I never mentioned Isuzu, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki, man. Thier cars are not that great. BMW really SHOULD have better reliabilities because their are MORE EXPANSIVE. If they want to sell expansive cars, then it should have less problems in both electrics and engines than hondas. But I don't see as many BMW lasts until 200k miles as Hondas or Toyotas, man. Admit it. It's true. Also I never talked about 92 3 series. my friend's was 96. Also 7 series really should be as realiable as other models because it's more expansive. And if bimmers are more reliable than Hondas or Toyotas, than why their values drops fater than them? Resale value says it all, my man.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
damn somebody needs to learn how to spell.. it's EXPENSIVE not EXPANSIVE. IDIOT

and honestly, yes a bmw can probably last longer than a civic, the engine can anyways. bmw and mb both have crappy electrical systems because bosch sucks. honestly, the electrical crap is really aminor thing and some people just don't want to take care of their cars so they don't like taking it in for an occasional service, hell some people don't even like diong oil changes.

bmw's really are the ultimate driving machine, but when you havea car tuned to such performance, it's going to cost you. wear and tear is pretty bad and you'll have to replace little parts along the way, it's the same with anything real high end. and use your head, the 7 series has billions of computers in it and obviously, some will break. everyone whines about microsoft's programming but really, they've done a great job, it's just that we odn't have something else to compare it to and we expect perfection. whenever electronics are involved things will go wrong, and sure bmw should change that but you just have to deal with it.

rookie, i'm assuming you were born in 84, and if you were, you need to learn a bit more about cars before you start whining about bmw. i admit they aren't as good as lexus in reliability but in every other way they are one of, if not the best

·
Registered
818 Posts
Clam, when you lower yourself to name calling, you really show how immature you are. As for spelling errors, if they make someone an idiot, what does that make you? Hmmmmmm.

Justy
99 328i

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
when i make my mistakes i dont' repeat the same mistake like 5-6 times in a post...its usually something like the or they or something stupid, but expansive is different from expensive and if you use it more than once that way, especially like rookie did, it's clear he doesn't know how to spell it

·
Registered
511 Posts
God, are we a bunch of old women? Buy the car you want and if it needs more work so what. I love my M5 and it does need attention. Very reliable just expensive to fix. 126k miles on a 3.6 liter with over 300hp that redlines a 7250. The next version at 3.8 liters and 340hp pretty much is rebuilt every 100k. But...who cares. You have lots of fun for quite a few years.

I love wrenching on my car with a cold beer and some tunes and smoking new GS400's who actually think their car is fast. Actually, that is a lie. They are always driven by women and I have never raced one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
15 Participants
Tom
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing